• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Canadant - Posted August 15 2019 - 10:41 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
I found a huge crematogastor colony a few weeks ago. Will be watching for nups. They're a beautiful ant.

Edited by Canadant, August 15 2019 - 10:41 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#122 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2019 - 10:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent! I found my queens around 2:00pm. They’re the best.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#123 Offline Acutus - Posted August 15 2019 - 3:06 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I gotta get mine in a different setup. They're in a test tube setup right now with an AC Test Tube Portal attached. Trying to figure out how to make it easier to manage. I can't clean it the way it is. good thing is they can't escape! LOL

the cotton in there current tube is getting funky and the water is 1/2 gone. Probably gonna try some type of tubs and tube setup I guess. not really in to the smaller ants but I do like these girls. :D

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Boog like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#124 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 15 2019 - 3:37 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
As usual... My colony won't move again, so I dumped them into the outworld of their new grout nest.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#125 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2019 - 4:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m working on a Fort Knox level bead container formicarium for Sigyn to move into. I actually removed the lid of the container, flipped it over, and sunk it in hydrostone. In theory, there should be no cracks they can slip out of. I’ll hook this to an AC out world.
  • TennesseeAnts, Acutus, Boog and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#126 Offline Acutus - Posted August 15 2019 - 7:31 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I’m working on a Fort Knox level bead container formicarium for Sigyn to move into. I actually removed the lid of the container, flipped it over, and sunk it in hydrostone. In theory, there should be no cracks they can slip out of. I’ll hook this to an AC out world.

Post some pics!!

• ANTdrew likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#127 Offline Rstheant - Posted August 18 2019 - 9:00 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
But just to be safe, cover the hydrostone with a plastic cover so water doesn’t drip through, if it gets over watered.

#128 Offline Rstheant - Posted August 18 2019 - 9:02 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Feed Crematogaster lots of sugars and heavy protein, including bloodworm soup.

Bruh! Where you been?

I’ve hadn’t had much time to focus on ants, we have been moving to a new house.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#129 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 18 2019 - 4:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 8-18-2019

Sigyn keeps growing like crazy. Here is a picture of the massive amount of brood she has at the moment. This colony is almost a year old now.

I'm planning to move this colony into a Fort Knox level bead container formicarium that I have been working on plus expanding their out world to an AC out world.

• TennesseeAnts, rbarreto, Boog and 2 others like this

#130 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 19 2019 - 5:29 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Your colony is doing much better than mine! But, then again, mine is still recovering. Mine has 80 or so workers with a great brood pile consisting of 200 brood in all stages. Queen keeps laying eggs!

#131 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 20 2019 - 5:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 8-20-2019

I got a prospective new diva today!

The same buddy and former co-teacher of mine who found one of my Camponotus chromaiodes queens in his house has done it again. His ant-hating wife actually found this beauty crawling across the kitchen table. I'm going to start stocking him with test tubes in the future. The queen hasn't dropped her wings, but she is acting very calm in the tube, so I'm hoping she is mated. I put her in a test tube set up with a drop of Sunburst nectar. It will be a lot of fun to start up the cycle again with a new Crema queen.

• TennesseeAnts, rbarreto, Boog and 2 others like this

#132 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 24 2019 - 6:04 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
How do you keep these from escaping? Or is it not even possible?!

Edited by Kaelwizard, August 24 2019 - 6:05 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#133 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 24 2019 - 6:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Solutions are temporary at best, but they can’t climb upside down on very dry fluon. The key is keeping humidity down. If you look back in this journal, you’ll see how I cut out the lid for their outworld.
  • Boog and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#134 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 24 2019 - 1:47 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Solutions are temporary at best, but they can’t climb upside down on very dry fluon. The key is keeping humidity down. If you look back in this journal, you’ll see how I cut out the lid for their outworld.
Ok. If my P. occidentalis don’t survive I may keep some Crematogaster.

#135 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 26 2019 - 11:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 8-26-2019

I've started trying to move my Divas into this set up. Yesterday, I just put their whole BoxBox container in the AC outworld and pulled out the cotton plugs. It was cool to see how excited they got over the new real estate available to them. Though many ants explored the nest, they haven't really started moving in yet. I may try shaking them out into the out world in a few days if nothing happens. I'm really eager to get them out of the tube they've been in for months now. It's totally dry, so it seems like this species doesn't really care much about humidity.
In any case their numbers continue to skyrocket, and they remain my favorite colony. Here's a look at their hundreds of eggs and a big pile of pupae they formed.

My new queen hasn't dropped her wings yet, but she looks fine otherwise. Still hoping to find more soon!

• TennesseeAnts, rbarreto, Boog and 1 other like this

#136 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 26 2019 - 12:16 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Yea Crematogaster cerasi don't really need much humidity. They're arboreal, so drinking water is all they need for the most part. My colony has finally broke 100 again, with no signs of resting! I'll send you some pics in a DM. Their egg pile is about a third of yours, and their larvae and pupae pile is bigger!
  • ANTdrew likes this

#137 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 26 2019 - 12:20 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yea Crematogaster cerasi don't really need much humidity. They're arboreal, so drinking water is all they need for the most part. My colony has finally broke 100 again, with no signs of resting! I'll send you some pics in a DM. Their egg pile is about a third of yours, and their larvae and pupae pile is bigger!

Definitely send them, Sensei.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#138 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 26 2019 - 12:22 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I shall, young padewan.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, August 26 2019 - 12:22 PM.

#139 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 3 2019 - 9:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 9-3-2019

I found my first Crematogaster queens exactly one year ago on 9/2/2018. They had a big flight on the exact same date one year later! I was monitoring a colony I have living between the posts of a retaining wall in my yard when tons of winged males started swarming out around 11:15am. I didn't see any queens, but I knew I needed to start searching around. I managed to find one winged queen on my front steps (she later pulled off her wings, so I'm pretty confident she mated).

Once we got our kids down for their nap, I drove back out to the Washington Sailing Marina, which is where I found my divas last year. As soon as I started walking around, I found several dealate queens wandering around the bathroom building. One was right in front of the entrance to the women's restroom, which made catching her quite awkward! I ended up capturing seven queens at this location. One I found just crawling on my shoulder and another just crawled up on my brother's beer! Two of the queens I released in prime habitats in my native plant garden, and I released the still-winged queen my buddy had found me because I wasn't sure if she was mated.

That leaves me with six new divas! One is from my yard, while five are from the Marina. I'm hoping to sell most of these or trade them with ant keeping buddies out here.

Edited by ANTdrew, September 3 2019 - 9:09 AM.

• Boog, TestSubjectOne and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#140 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 3 2019 - 9:12 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
That's eight.... :lol:
  • ANTdrew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users