• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chamomile tea to prevent mold?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 17 2018 - 9:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I've read in the past how chamomile tea has strong anti-fungal properties, so I'm wondering what would happen if one put chamomile tea as the water reservoir in a test tube set up? Would this be harmful to the ants in any way? Maybe it would help cut down on mold growth...Just an idea I had.

Edited by ANTdrew, October 17 2018 - 9:51 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 18 2018 - 8:21 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
I was dubious, some plants in the same family are used as insecticides so I had a quick "Google " and after 5 mins research I haven't come across it as an insecticide but I have come across lists of side effects and health warnings. It's not deemed safe to use chamomile products while pregnant or breastfeeding which is a worry, after a very quick skim of various search results I'd say it's not looking good.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 18 2018 - 1:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ok! Probably not a good idea. Maybe I’ll experiment sometime if I get another surplus of tetramorium queens. I was hoping to advance ant keeping with a new idea. Ha!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 18 2018 - 1:17 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
I mean yeah if you can afford the loss for an experiment. Who knows you may revolutionize ant keeping!
  • DaveJay likes this

#5 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 18 2018 - 8:46 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Well by the same token I used to worry that the tea tree oil I used as a disinfectant spray would get into my fish tanks, then I find Melafix, a fish medicine based on tea tree oil! As with most things it's the dosage that makes a medicine different from a poison so it can't be ruled out without proper research and experimentation, in this case I have my doubts though.

#6 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 18 2018 - 9:37 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Update, I'm finding some seemingly contradictory information, chamomile can be used as a companion plant to attract insects, but triple strength tea can be used as an insecticide spray. Some gardening sites say chamomile can be used as a substitute for pyrethrum when making insecticide or insect repellant, which is what I initially thought might be the case as they are both in Asteraceae, as are all daisies. One of my text books when I studied horticulture was titled "Daisies are dangerous", a book on toxic plants so as soon as you mentioned chamomile alarm bells rang. Daisies are responsible for lots of kids being poisoned, usually because they make "tea" from whatever takes their fancy in the yard. There is still the possibility that weak chamomile tea may be beneficial, but I'd be very careful with it.
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users