• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Garden ant ID help!

ant id australia adelaide ants help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TotallyYogurt - Posted October 15 2018 - 1:30 AM

TotallyYogurt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi all, 

I collected these ants on the 15/10/18 from my backyard in Adelaide, SA, Australia (summer's just around the corner). Found a trail of them on the pavement, and the entrance of their nest seems to be in between the gaps of two pavement stones. They are approximately 2mm in length and show no signs of aggressiveness (I picked them up and they didn't bite or sting, they just tried to run away).

I gave the colony a sugar solution and honey solution a few days before I collected these ants, and they showed great interest in both, especially the honey solution. 

I'll be needing to collect some ants from Adelaide of the same species, and it'll help me greatly in my report if I know the classification of these ants. From research, my best guess is Ochetellus glaber or Lasius niger (but apparently these are not found in Australia)

Can someone help me accurately identify them?

Thank you!

Edited by TotallyYogurt, October 16 2018 - 4:46 AM.

#2 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 15 2018 - 5:27 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
G'day, I'm also from Adelaide (close enough) and I think I know the ants you mean but unfortunately I can't see the picture and I'm only new to ants myself so I'm not much help. As far as I do know the really small ones are Pheidole sp. , I don't think Iridomyrmex get that small. Like I said though, I'm new to ant keeping so hopefully someone else will answer.
BTW, there is a template for asking for I.D. , the first thing you're likely to be told is use the template! I might as well get it in first. :)

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 15 2018 - 11:28 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I looks like a Iridymyrmex worker (if I spelled that right).

#4 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 15 2018 - 6:34 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Just out of interest, where is the photo hosted? I can't see it and the link doesn't work for me, I know sometimes it's because I don't have an account with the host site.

#5 Offline TotallyYogurt - Posted October 16 2018 - 4:25 AM

TotallyYogurt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Just out of interest, where is the photo hosted? I can't see it and the link doesn't work for me, I know sometimes it's because I don't have an account with the host site.

It's on google drive

I'm not sure how to insert an image 

#6 Offline TotallyYogurt - Posted October 16 2018 - 4:43 AM

TotallyYogurt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

G'day, I'm also from Adelaide (close enough) and I think I know the ants you mean but unfortunately I can't see the picture and I'm only new to ants myself so I'm not much help. As far as I do know the really small ones are Pheidole sp. , I don't think Iridomyrmex get that small. Like I said though, I'm new to ant keeping so hopefully someone else will answer.
BTW, there is a template for asking for I.D. , the first thing you're likely to be told is use the template! I might as well get it in first. :)

Right sorry, here's everything in template format 

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Adelaide, Glenside, SA, Australia

2. Date of collection: 15/10/18
3. Habitat of collection: Backyard, on pavement 
4. Length (from head to gaster): 2mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black body. Slightly brown on head (bit of an ombre happening), leg (especially around joints), antenna and pronotum (hope that's right). Glossy gaster, small hairs on gaster and around frontal lobes 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: I gave the colony a sugar solution and honey solution a few days before I collected these ants, and they showed great interest in both, especially the honey solution. 
7. Distinguishing behavior: show no signs of aggressiveness (I picked them up and they didn't bite or sting, they just tried to run away)
8. Nest description: In between two pavement stones 

9. Nuptial flight time and date: No clue lol

[Image of ant]

[Images of nest] Don't have an image but it's between two pavement stones where there's dirt. It's just a tiny hole without a dirt mound around it.
[Images of habitat]  Don't have one sorry! Its a backyard with pavement as the floor. We have lots of potted plants and some bushes and trees growing out of the ground near the fences where there's some dirt. We also have some chickens and birds (in cages) if that helps.

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 17 2018 - 2:14 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Definitely Iridomyrmex spp.

#8 Offline neoponera - Posted October 27 2018 - 1:16 PM

neoponera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationnuevoleon mexico

iridomyrmex bicknelli is my guess

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant id, australia, adelaide, ants, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users