• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cool down outside - is this a dumb idea?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 13 2018 - 5:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
So, I have three crematogaster cerasi or lineolata queens that I found Labor Day weekend. They will need to hibernate soon, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to let them cool off gradually outside in a shoebox as our Virginia temps start to dip into the 60s? I would keep them under a roof and transfer them to a mini-fridge after a week or so. Maybe this is a dumb idea for reasons I don’t know, but I welcome your advice. My thinking is that it would be a gentler approach instead of going from room temp to 50 degrees suddenly.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 13 2018 - 6:08 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
I'm sure more seasoned ant keepers will come along. But it can't be as bad as my idea I had. In the antscanada forum I asked if it was safe to keep ants outside... Like always.

You just want to do it for a little bit and move them in after a week. How cold do your nights get? I could see if it's 60 mid day and gets to like 40 at midnight that could be too much of a temp change for them. But again that is me and my noob thinking, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Kalidas, October 13 2018 - 9:16 AM.

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted October 13 2018 - 9:05 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I would not recommend it. Leaving them on a windowsill achieves a similar affect without the associated risks which include:

-Outside fauna killing your queens
-Test tube breaking
-Freezing to death
-Burning due to constant sun exposure

Personally, I feel it is to risky and putting them in a cool area indoors then into the fridge achieves the same affect with none of the risks.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline AURA - Posted October 13 2018 - 9:33 AM

AURA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn New York

Keep in mind that ants naturally hibernate underground, where the temperature does not fluctuate as much and it is not as cold as the surface. If you are to do this, make sure that no outside predators can get in, cover your nest or test tube with soil or sand or something for temperature fluctuations

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 13 2018 - 10:14 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I hibernate mine in my garage without problems. I just put mine in my garage day before yesterday.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 13 2018 - 10:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thank you! I figured this was a dumb idea. I have them in a chilly closet and will keep them there. I’ll put them on their mini-fridge vacation in a few weeks. For better or worse, I’m pinning all my hopes of future happiness on these girls, so I don’t want to do any bone-headed things.
  • ConcordAntman and DaveJay like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users