• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moldy test tube? Hibernate? Feeding?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mollySF - Posted October 20 2018 - 9:56 AM

mollySF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello,

I also have a Camponotus quercicola queen with about 10 workers.  

1) Their test tube is getting pretty moldy.  Should I try and transfer them?  

2) Should I hibernate them?  They were found in CA.

3) I'm also not sure if I'm having any luck feeding them.  I tried giving them cut up mealworms, but they didn't seem at all interested.  Right now, I've been giving them flightless fruit flies, but I never see them eat them, so I have no idea if that's working either.  Again, advice very appreciated!!

Thank you!

Camponotus quercicola colony
Album: Camponotus quercicola
1 images
0 comments

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted October 20 2018 - 4:13 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
The queen survived? I am the GAN farmer who sold them to you, I thought you had mentioned that they had passed away. If their test tube is getting moldy, you should make another fresh test tube and make a "sleeve" out of paper that keeps it dark. Then take out the old test tube and put in the new one. Shake the ants out and they will seek the darker one. These like to be hibernated whenever the queen stops laying eggs and they don't have any pupae, around late November.

They like a variety of foods, mine love crickets and hummingbird nectar.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline kounelus - Posted October 20 2018 - 9:38 PM

kounelus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana
Adult ants feed on sugary substances. Larva feed on protein substances. Queens feed on both (protein for eggs, sugar for energy). Eggs & pupae don't need feeding. So if you don't have any larva, they will not eat a lot of protein, and will need sugary substances instead. So that might explain why they were not too interested in the protein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users