• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Random homemade formicariums n'stuff

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Leo - Posted October 6 2018 - 11:46 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Compared to basically everyone's home-made formicariums, mine look like they were made by preschoolers. None the less, i'll post some random pictures of my little projects.

The stuff I use to make this stuff:

A screwdriver

Tweezers

A lighter

Plaster of Paris

random containers

My t shirt (to stop dust)

Formicariums I have right now::

The most basic one:

It is basically a acrylic container with a layer of plaster which has a ditch in the middle and a piece of plastic to cover it.

currently housing my oocerea biroi, it is dirty as hell, but the oocerea see to like it that way.

formicarium 2

Similar to the first one, but with glass instead of plastic and some chambers. currently housing my large pheidole colony.

formicarium 3

I found an interesting box a few days back and decided to make a small formicarium out of it. This is the final product.

hydration chamber

size

It will probably house this colony of pheidole when they grow larger.

• FSTP, FeedTheAnts, Scrixx and 1 other like this

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 7 2018 - 10:02 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I like them, they look good. Can you find AAC in China?

Edited by TennesseeAnts, October 7 2018 - 10:02 AM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline Leo - Posted October 7 2018 - 3:59 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I have no idea. For some odd reason, a pet store near me sells 7 by 8 cm chunks of AAC for hamsters to chew on. Not enough though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users