• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Firebrick Formicarium

firebrick formicarium diy dremel

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Rstheant - Posted December 2 2018 - 12:54 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Wow! This looks great! Just a suggestion for next time: you may want to use magnets in a Tarheel Ants style to connect the acrylic. It makes cleaning and moving in and out very easy. May I ask where you bought the Firebrick? I plan on making a Formicarium myself. Here are the crude designs, but the explanation helps compensate for it. It's a bit of a read though haha. http://www.formicult...-for-tiny-ants/
I would definitely move the Camponotus into this. It would be better for their first hibernation.

I purchase my k23 firebrick from Clay Planet @Major. It has a lot of pottery supplies too, like terra-cotta.

Wow! This looks great! Just a suggestion for next time: you may want to use magnets in a Tarheel Ants style to connect the acrylic. It makes cleaning and moving in and out very easy. May I ask where you bought the Firebrick? I plan on making a Formicarium myself. Here are the crude designs, but the explanation helps compensate for it. It's a bit of a read though haha. http://www.formicult...-for-tiny-ants/
I would definitely move the Camponotus into this. It would be better for their first hibernation.

I purchase my k23 firebrick from Clay Planet @Major. It has a lot of pottery supplies too, like terra-cotta.

#42 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 21 2019 - 9:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Reviving this thread! How did this formicarium work out in real time? Update, please!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#43 Offline Yosigi - Posted June 21 2019 - 10:50 AM

Yosigi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSaranac, NY

The formicarium seemed to work well, but the queen never laid after hibernation and died about 6 weeks after I took them out.  I've made some smaller nests in the meantime, and I wanna make another large one with smaller tunnels and chambers for a multi queen Myrmica colony, since those will be flying for me soon.  I did catch roughly 40 Camponotus queens this season so far, so once they've gotten enough workers I can move one of them in; the rest I don't sell will get other nests once I've made them.

• ANTdrew likes this

My current colonies:

1x 4 queen Myrmica colony, roughly 30 workers

1x 3 queen Myrmica colony, roughly 20 workers

2x Tetramorium Immigrans colony, one with probably 500 workers and the second has around 200

1x Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis colony from THA, about 40 workers

My 1st firebrick formicarium: http://www.formicult...ck-formicarium/

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 21 2019 - 10:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks! Would love to see photos of the nests you made when you get a chance.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#45 Offline Dukagora - Posted June 23 2019 - 7:23 PM

Dukagora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona
Has anyone tried K26 firebrick? I just finished carving a k23 but still need to gather some stuff to finish it. It really is quite soft and I was surprised when I was washing it after carving as it was soft enough that I was rubbing tiny pieces of it off with my fingers. didn't even realize it until checked. I just thought I had a lot of loose debris from carving.

Edited by Dukagora, June 23 2019 - 7:24 PM.

#46 Offline J20m83 - Posted July 4 2022 - 6:46 PM

J20m83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great tutorial. I will have to share my experience when I figure it out. Thanks!
Great tutorial. I will have to share my experience when I figure it out. Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firebrick, formicarium, diy, dremel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users