• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Today I caught some ants.

dorymyrmex pogonomyrmex larvae pupae

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted October 4 2018 - 7:07 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I went anting today and I actually managed to catch some queens. I was able to get 5 Dorymeyrmex queens. I believe they are Dorymyrmex bicolor because all the mature Dorymyrmex colonies I saw at this location were Dorymyrmex bicolor. I also found one Pogonomyrmex queen. The Pogonomyrmex queen I found had with her what I think are her nanitics as these workers are really small and one seems to be newly eclosed. I also saw what I thought was a recently founded Pogonomyrmex queen but when I dug it up to my horror it was a fairly mature colony and they were not at all happy. Strange thing was there was just a little pile of dirt by the entrance and no workers were out and active so it looked like it was a newly founded queen. Well since I accidently disturbed this colony there was larvae and pupae strewn about so I collected some so I can give them to my newly collected queen and her workers. Another thing, I would have come home with two Pogonomyrmex queens however one that I dug up ran away and when I was trying to catch it I ran over it with my front wheels. So I feel pretty horrible about that.

Here are a couple of pictures.

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

I'm just going to found the Dorymyrmex in test tubes, but I still haven't decided what type of founding system I want to try with the Pogonomyrmex. Maybe just kep them in a test tube for now and then move them to a dirt shack like Drews a bit later.

Anyways It feels nice to have ants again.

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted October 5 2018 - 8:03 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

well I'm pretty disapointed. This morning when I woke up I checked on my new ants and it looks like the Pogonomyrmex queen is dead. All her workers are still alive and tending to the brood. So I guess I need to try any find another ogo queen before some of those pupae eclose... I was so excited for this ant too.. now I just hav the Dorymyrmex queens.... Anyone want to trade some Dorymyrmex queens for a Pogonomyrmex queen? :-/

#3 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted October 11 2018 - 4:31 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
That’s too bad, those are some nice looking ants.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dorymyrmex, pogonomyrmex, larvae, pupae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users