• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antmaniac's Polyrhachis Sp.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 18 2015 - 6:52 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

I also fear that some of the other, more established ant colonies around my place will get into my formacarium.  :yes: I have small ventalation holes that smaller ants could find. 

Unfortunately, it can happen. Even some indoor ants would not hesitate to raid whatever insects or foods you have indoor. What is worse is that this formicarium is outside and exposed to all types of ants, there are yellow ants which are even smaller than the black ants. I had to rescue the queen from the black ants last night. However, it appears that her tough exoskeleton has protected her very well. Nevertheless, she is paranoid now and I am no sure how well this colony would last.

#22 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 19 2015 - 12:59 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

19/3/2015

Just a quick update. I have relocated the formicarium inside after got rid off 3 black ants. I have also block off the entrance for time being and put in 2 mosquitoes. Fortunately, the nanitic still alive and can be seen holding on a cocoon. Hopefully soon they will unite with the queen soon and everything would get back to normal.

I have also discovered that the formicarium has a critical flaw. The water could not soak up high enough to reach the formicarium. I will have to move this colony to a horizontal formicarium and use this formicarium for larger colony.

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 19 2015 - 5:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, I have found that Ytong usually soaks up water about 2 to 3 inches depending on the humidity.

#24 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 19 2015 - 12:48 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
I have an idea. By make a long straw with floater, it will allow ants to obain water depending on the water level. However, the ants may end up camping in it.

#25 Offline antmaniac - Posted October 21 2015 - 8:21 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

One last update on this journal. The lid has closed up during the thunderstorm & windy days and I had failed to check on this colony. Hence this colony has died off. A review on the formicarium, as previous stated, the hydration system is a failure, however, poses no issue for this species. However, in the long run, this species will eventually move away from this formicarium due to dryness. In conclusion, I wouldn't recommend this formicarium. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users