• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can I get fruit flies from my compost bin?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 12 2018 - 10:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hello-

I was thinking of saving money by catching fruit flies from my compost bin. I was thinking of putting some rotten fruit in a container and leaving it in the bin for a couple of days, so the flies can lay their eggs on it. Then I would close up the container and let the flies hatch. I figure this way I wouldn't have to worry about pesticides, but I was wondering if there were other problems I wasn't thinking of?

I get a ton of soldier flies in there, too.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline ZllGGY - Posted September 12 2018 - 1:20 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

the only problem with wild insects is the possibility of pesticide contamination even though they'd be in your bin the insects still travel so its probably i slight chance still. maybe just catching a small amount and then letting the generations grow for maybe two cycles will probably eliminate pesticides completely

Edited by ZllGGY, September 12 2018 - 1:22 PM.

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#3 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 12 2018 - 6:47 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
I've done this with larger flies for my frogs, I think there still may be a very slight chance of pesticides but not much. Anything that hasn't killed the adult flies or affected their reproducing and hasn't affected the resulting larvae or their development is not likely to be present in the flies that you're feeding to your pets I think.

#4 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted September 12 2018 - 8:21 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I've done this with larger flies for my frogs, I think there still may be a very slight chance of pesticides but not much. Anything that hasn't killed the adult flies or affected their reproducing and hasn't affected the resulting larvae or their development is not likely to be present in the flies that you're feeding to your pets I think.

Biomagnification though. Don't want to fill em up on too much. At any rate, if you do decide to start a culture with them, There's most likely going to be less harmful chemicals in the fruit flies if all ur feeding them is fruit like Banana.

#5 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 12 2018 - 9:53 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Biomagnification though. Don't want to fill em up on too much. At any rate, if you do decide to start a culture with them, There's most likely going to be less harmful chemicals in the fruit flies if all ur feeding them is fruit like Banana.
True, there's probably more risk from the fruit the larvae eat than from residual pesticides passed into the eggs from the wild parents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users