• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Food Temperature

food feeding protein sugar

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 10 2018 - 1:14 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
I came across this paper, sort of, I read the abstract, which included findings but I haven't found free access to the full paper yet.

"Greenhead ants Rhytidoponera metallica make trade‐offs between food temperature and food concentration
LACHLAN PETTIT TANYA LATTY
First published: 31 May 2016"
I'll copy and paste the abstract soon, with full credits but in short they found that when given two servings of identical foods at different temperatures these ants will choose a warm serve over a cold one but when the cold serve is 10 times more concentrated than the warm serve they will opt for the more concentrated serve.
It shows a temperature preference, warm food 'costs' less to utilise and may provide energy in the form of physical heat as well as the food value itself.
This might be a factor in whether ants will accept a food or not and perhaps explain in part why a food is rejected despite being accepted eagerly in the past.
Just food for thought, I'll try and find a free link for the whole text, but temperature might be something to consider when offering food, perhaps particularly when offering a new food.
What do you think?
  • AntsMaryland, rbarreto, Ikerrilove and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Boog - Posted July 16 2019 - 10:40 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I made small little grout feeders, around an inch cubed, that I was planning to test. I thought that soaking the grout feeders in hot water for a few minutes before putting my defrosted crickets on them would be a good idea. I just never attempted it yet but have thought that heat would draw them to the meal but was also worried that it would raise the humidity of the out world enough to degrade the fluon barrier. They already find their food no problem so didn't pursue this further yet. This post makes me reconsider my idea.

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 17 2019 - 3:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Anybody else miss DaveJay? What became of him?
  • Boog likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, feeding, protein, sugar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users