• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to Install Neodymium Magnets

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline thosaka - Posted August 26 2018 - 7:35 AM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Can anyone share how I can make a grout formicarium with the neodymium magnets installed? I find it challenging to make one with the magnets. Do I add the magnets after or while the grout cures? Thank you.

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted August 26 2018 - 7:41 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

In my opinion, I say ditch the magnets and use screws because screws offer a tighter seal and no chance of the lid coming off. But regardless, you drill a hole the size of the magnet into the grout after it is cured and epoxy the magnets into the holes. Then, add your acrylic and put magnets on top of the acrylic. If the epoxy isn't strong enough to hold the magnets they will come out and have no effect on keeping the acrylic lid on.

• Major and thosaka like this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline thosaka - Posted August 26 2018 - 10:51 AM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I like your suggestion on the screw, but I do have a few concerns. If I use screws, what can I use for the clear top? Should I use acrylic, plexiglass or museum glass? Do I need to use a particular clear top that can avoid cracking when I screw the screws into them? In addition, what type of screws would you suggest I use? Sheet metal screws with the sharp points or sheet metal screws with self drilling point? Please help. Thank you.

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 26 2018 - 11:32 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

When I use hydrostone, I just push the magnet in once the mixture is starting to harden.  You don't want to put it in too early or else it will sink, and if it is too late, it will deform the cast.

• thosaka likes this

#5 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted December 17 2018 - 9:43 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

when FSTP made his, he just put magnets on both sides of the mold to hold in place will it dried

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users