• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Random Spider - Western NY

spider new york

Best Answer AntsAreUs , August 20 2018 - 6:55 PM

I'm pretty sure these are Platycryptus undatus which is a very common jumping spider, even here.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Reevak - Posted August 20 2018 - 6:26 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

My friend found this spider and wanted it identified. I don't know anything about spiders. Here are some pictures (and yes these are the only pictures they took)

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 20 2018 - 6:55 PM   Best Answer

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I'm pretty sure these are Platycryptus undatus which is a very common jumping spider, even here.

• AntsBC likes this

#3 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 20 2018 - 7:11 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Jumping spiders are popular pets among the spider keeping crowd. Unlike most spiders they have excellent eyesight which makes them very responsive pets. Most spiders rely on vibrations to locate prey, jumping spiders use vision and are able to correctly calculate the location and distance of their prey when hunting and can accurately land exactly where they want to be when jumping.
  • CamponotusLover and Canadant like this

#4 Offline Reevak - Posted August 20 2018 - 7:13 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Looks good, thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spider, new york

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users