• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What can you tell me about Solenopsis molesta?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline aronwanderer - Posted August 9 2018 - 4:11 AM

aronwanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm trying to find information about keeping Solenopsis molesta. Anything experience you have or journals you can point me to would be helpful. I've caught 7 of them so far this summer. I was told by one person that they would drown themselves in a normal test tube setup, and that they would be hard to keep in a formicarium because of their size and need for high humidity.

Here's some pictures of the most recent queen I caught. https://imgur.com/a/t1QKCJQ

Edited by aronwanderer, August 9 2018 - 4:12 AM.

#2 Offline KBant - Posted August 9 2018 - 1:57 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

so we have a thing called a search bar. you can type whatever, even "Solenopsis molesta"  and you can see so many results! its like magic!

• gcsnelling likes this

#3 Offline aronwanderer - Posted August 9 2018 - 3:43 PM

aronwanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

so we have a thing called a search bar. you can type whatever, even "Solenopsis molesta"  and you can see so many results! its like magic!

Thank you for your helpful advice! I started there, and was unable to find much relevant information. I'd love to learn that I'm just bad at searching. Can you help teach me how to search better by showing me how you found the information you're talking about?

Edited by aronwanderer, August 9 2018 - 3:43 PM.

#4 Offline TheRealAntMan - Posted August 9 2018 - 6:04 PM

TheRealAntMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationChicago,IL

Although Solenopsis Molesta is a small ant species, I've ever heard or had any drown in the typical test tube. As long as you don't make the test tube to wet, I don't see why there should be a problem. I kept a mature colony before I sold them. They weren't in a formicarium before I sold but they are now. They're kept in AC Solenopsis Hybrid Nest with humidification twice a week. They also have a heating cable but it's not required. I'll see if I can get pics from him. 

Edited by TheRealAntMan, August 10 2018 - 10:12 AM.

• Ant Broski likes this
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to their relative body size

#5 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 9 2018 - 6:30 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

They don't drown if you make the setup right. They are pretty hardy, although because they aren't very good test tube cleaners, you'll probably have to watch out for mold, since that can kill S. molesta.

#6 Offline aronwanderer - Posted August 9 2018 - 7:24 PM

aronwanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Although Solenopsis Molesta is a small ant species, I've ever heard or had any drown in the typical test tube. As long as you don't make the test tube to wet, I don't see why there should be a problem. I kept a mature colony before I sold them. They weren't in a formicarium before I sold but they are now. They're kept in AC Solenopsis Hybrid Nest with humidification 2 a week. They also have a heating cable but it's not required. I'll see if I can get pics from him. 

Thank you!  That's great to hear!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users