• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rural outside of Ottawa Canada Aug 7 2018

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 8 2018 - 6:28 PM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario, Canada

Hi, Just started this season to bare with me if I get any lingo wrong or what have you.

Nuptial flight was last night warm evening under a street lamp

Not to far from the Ottawa River, but also near a small wooded area. 

Nest Unknown

The lines under are millimeters

landed on the pavement under the light with many others, unsure which were male or female or different species.

All very small size, this or smaller. This is the first ant I've caught that has me thinking it just might be a male. 

might be the angle

i-jP9bNvm-L.jpg

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 8 2018 - 6:45 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Hi! Nice to see some more Ottawa folk! That looks like a male to me but maybe try some more pictures from different angles. Also check out this guide on how to format your ID threads:

http://www.formicult...t-a-new-thread/ .

• Ikerrilove likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 10 2018 - 3:42 AM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

I'm actually in Arnprior but Ottawa is close enough that I use it as my location :) 

I did read that post before I posted mine, was there something specific I needed to add or is it just that there's only one picture?

Glad to see someone local since I don't see many youtube channels from around here. Do you know of any?

Thanks for the ID :) I was pretty sure it was a male when I got a better look at it in the light. 

#4 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 10 2018 - 10:40 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Welcome to the boards. Not too many Ottawa area anters but looks like we're growing. I don't think you'll find any Ottawa youtubers but the thought has crossed my mind but there is now way I could find the time to do that now. Too busy with these ants as is.

PS: Looks like a male to me.

My online ant spreadsheet

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 10 2018 - 11:47 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius americanus male, although we are soon entering the mating season for the rest of this genus, which require a view of the antennae and mandibles to properly ID.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 10 2018 - 2:37 PM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Thanks :) Maybe I caught a queen that night too, I'll have to take photos soon and find out :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users