• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

do any termits live in southern ontario?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline matt. - Posted August 1 2018 - 4:00 PM

matt.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcanada cambridge ontario

I'm just wondering because I have never seen one has anybody else

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 1 2018 - 5:29 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Termites live in Southern Ontario, but they are extremely scarce.

• Nare likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Nare - Posted August 1 2018 - 8:17 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Funny you ask, I just spent a whole ton of time researching this, the answer is yes. They aren't native, but were accidently introduced into Toronto in the 1930s from the states. Now, they live in many of the old neighbourhoods of Toronto, as well as in some isolated areas in Guelph and Waterloo I think. You can find them in parks in downtown Toronto, or at least in the beaches neighbourhood.

The species you'd find would be Reticulitermes flavipes, the Eastern Subterranean Termite. They're pretty cool I think, but I think all termites are cool, so I'm a bit impartial. You can check out my journal of them down below, I caught this colony in Toronto.

EDIT: I don't know if they'll be in large enough numbers to find in Cambridge. I suspect that, if they are there, they'll be confined to homes. The only reason I could find termites in Toronto is because they've been there for 80 or 90 years, and the parks I visited have been super close to susceptible homes.

Edited by Nare, August 1 2018 - 8:22 PM.

#4 Offline matt. - Posted August 2 2018 - 7:10 AM

matt.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Funny you ask, I just spent a whole ton of time researching this, the answer is yes. They aren't native, but were accidently introduced into Toronto in the 1930s from the states. Now, they live in many of the old neighbourhoods of Toronto, as well as in some isolated areas in Guelph and Waterloo I think. You can find them in parks in downtown Toronto, or at least in the beaches neighbourhood.

The species you'd find would be Reticulitermes flavipes, the Eastern Subterranean Termite. They're pretty cool I think, but I think all termites are cool, so I'm a bit impartial. You can check out my journal of them down below, I caught this colony in Toronto.

EDIT: I don't know if they'll be in large enough numbers to find in Cambridge. I suspect that, if they are there, they'll be confined to homes. The only reason I could find termites in Toronto is because they've been there for 80 or 90 years, and the parks I visited have been super close to susceptible homes.

thank you

#5 Offline KBant - Posted August 2 2018 - 9:19 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
What is a termit?

#6 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 2 2018 - 4:41 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

What is a termit?

A termite without it's daily dose of Es

Edited by CoolColJ, August 2 2018 - 4:41 PM.

• rbarreto and Nare like this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#7 Offline matt. - Posted August 3 2018 - 11:33 AM

matt.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

What is a termit?

:dash: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users