• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Neoniger going through metamorphosis without cocoons. . .

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted July 11 2018 - 6:35 AM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
So this is really strange. I have a colony of Lasius Neoniger that have been going through the process of enclosing in cocoons to pupate. Now they quit. They're doing it without the cocoons. I have a bunch of white, ant shaped larvae piled up in their nest. Their pupae look just like my Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, only smaller.

Any idea why this is happening? Is it normal?

I can get pics in a couple hours if needed.

Edited by Jamiesname, July 11 2018 - 6:38 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 11 2018 - 12:22 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Cocoons are ideal but optional for the species that weave them. The evolutionary benefits are convoluted, but it seems to protect the inhabitant from their own workers in the event of a contaminant that the pupa has the potential to overcome. It may also provide modest protection from fungal spores.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 12 2018 - 3:41 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Maybe they need substrate

Some of my ants sometimes skip the cocoons, especially if there are not enough workers around to help them weave one

The brood developed fine

Edited by CoolColJ, July 12 2018 - 3:42 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#4 Offline Jamiesname - Posted July 12 2018 - 5:16 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Thanks for the info, guys. I was worried, even though they look and seem to be behaving normal other than that. I moved them into a new test tube just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users