• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2018 New Jersey Ant Together(s)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 11 2018 - 12:20 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Time: Sunday June 24, (weather pending Monday the 25th)

Locations: Prospertown Lake, situated Directly Next to 6 Flags Great Adventure. We will be meeting at the Parking Lot to Prospertown Lake between 9:30am and 10:00am. There we'll be exploring the population of Trachymyrmex septentrionalis. Don't be too worried about arriving late as we'll likely be the only people there who are not fishing. There is a slave making Formica in the woods there too we might be lucky enough to find.

As a secondary location we'll be heading south to the New Jersey Wild Outdoor Expo. Which we've never been to before also visiting Success Lake looks like it might be promising for another Trachymyrmex population.

New Jersey Wild Outdoor Expo

299 E Colliers Mill Rd, New Egypt, NJ 08533

At some point we will likely get food somewhere too, but we'll be playing that by ear.

If Attending: Ideally you should be a legal adult and able to provide your own transportation to and from the ant together locations. Carpooling if you can. Bug Spray is highly recommended and maybe brush up on the snakes of New Jersey as we usually come across one or two on these trips.  

Edited by MrILoveTheAnts, June 18 2018 - 12:09 PM.

• Evanthomas89 likes this

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 11 2018 - 2:19 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Hi Milta,

I think my brother and I may be interested in attending. You've proposed the weekend of July 23 as a viable time—will this be an overnight trip? If so, I'm assuming we'll be taking care of lodging ourselves?

I'll be in touch via pm or text regarding any other details.

#3 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 11 2018 - 4:13 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Well most people attending this I expect will be from the area. 2 hours or less really isn't that far to drive knowing there's a comfy bed at the end. Plenty of places around though I'm sure if needed. I wasn't planning to do black any black lighting, though I recall you have a portable generator so we might throw that out there as an option. Usually we all disperse shortly after dinner though. We might do pizza place for lunch and a dinner for dinner or something.

Also that weekend Whitesbog is having a Blueberry Festival, which is awkward for me because friends from different social circles want to attend that. (Also the address on their link is some guy's house. Whites bog is just a bit farther down 70 but still on their map). Sort of juggling with the idea of doing both or combining the two because Whites Bog was another location I was thinking about for an anting trip. Perhaps later in July we'll do that?

Edited by MrILoveTheAnts, June 11 2018 - 4:15 PM.

#4 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted June 12 2018 - 6:43 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Okay so as my schedule becomes more clear I request that this be on Sunday the 24th. The prior Saturday doesn't work for me anymore. So before this officially gets planned lets make it on that Sunday. There can be a rain date of Monday or Tuesday if need be, but I don't know what everyone's work schedule is like. 

And yes, it won't be too far. We usually keep it in NJ (central or south). 

I'd like to see a bunch of people go this year! Let's make this happen. :) 

#5 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 18 2018 - 12:10 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I have updated our itinerary in the first post above. Hopefully it's a nice day out and I look forward to seeing you all there.

#6 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted June 20 2018 - 10:17 AM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Awesome! Thanks for organizing this MILTA! Should be a good time, see you all in a few days! 

#7 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted June 24 2018 - 9:35 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

I'm so glad I was able to meet up with MILTA and WeatherAnt today at Prospertown Lake to see some Trachy activity along with some other fun finds I'm sure MILTA will include in his next video. I wish I didn't have to be at work and was able to tag along for the rest of the adventure but I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the day brings you!

• MrILoveTheAnts likes this

Check out my Youtube

#8 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 24 2018 - 3:41 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Well that was fun.

• Bracchymyrmex likes this

#9 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted June 24 2018 - 4:05 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Well that was fun.

'Twas

#10 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 24 2018 - 7:51 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

New Jersey Pine Barrens

Pine%20Barrens%202.jpg

Pine%20Barrens.jpg

Shot Gun Wedding? Or someone blasted the [censored] out of a deer!

Pine%20Barrens%20Shot%20Gun%20Wedding_1.

The Greatest Spot to go Anting Ever!!! A Not-so-Lush-Lawn!

Scrub%20Park.jpg

Prickly Pear Cactus

Scrub%20Prickly%20Pear.jpg

Scrub%20Prickly%20Pear%20Flower.jpg

Dolichoderus cf. mariae queen

Dolichoderus%20mariae%20queen.jpg

Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Trachy%20Workers.jpg

Trachy%20Worker.jpg

Trachy%20Queen.jpg

Mystery Pheidole Queen

Pheidole%20queen%20unknown.jpg

Wild Rose with Beetle in it.

Wild%20Rose%20Beetle.jpg

Sphinx Caterpillar

Sphinx%20Moth%20caterpillar.jpg

Can You Spot The Frog?

Spot%20The%20Frog.jpg

Spot%20The%20Frog%202.jpg

Spot%20The%20Froggie.jpg

Black Widow Female: We found about 4 of these today, and several males (which are surprisingly big) wandering about.

Black%20Widow%202.jpg

Black%20Widow.jpg

Jumping Spider I found on me when I got in the car.

Jumping%20Spider_1.jpg

• WeatherAnt, AnthonyP163, VoidElecent and 1 other like this

#11 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 24 2018 - 8:21 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I totally wish we had such a thriving community here in Wisconsin, seems like you guys found a ton and had a blast. Is that a Trachymyrmex queen?

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#12 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 25 2018 - 11:40 AM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Is that a Trachymyrmex queen?

Yes, apparently they either continue to forage well into the following year, or established colonies cast out excess queens which helped found it that go on to try and found again. I suspect the former is more likely.

• VoidElecent likes this

#13 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 25 2018 - 11:47 AM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

• Evanthomas89 and ColKurtz like this

#14 Offline Kevin - Posted June 25 2018 - 12:08 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Great video! Lot of species in there I've never seen before, I'll have to find some similar areas and look around. Pheidole will start flights within a few weeks I believe around here and I'll catch probably 20 queens out of my pool. I've yet to figure out where they are coming from though, haven't seen any Pheidole close to my yard.

• VoidElecent and ColKurtz like this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#15 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted June 26 2018 - 8:39 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Is that a Trachymyrmex queen?

Yes, apparently they either continue to forage well into the following year, or established colonies cast out excess queens which helped found it that go on to try and found again. I suspect the former is more likely.

We need to get out there during the flights this year! Do you know what time of day? I wish there was a trachy population slightly closer so I could stop more often as the time gets closer. Of course Prospertown Lake is 10-15 minutes in the direction of NOTHING I do. lol. 

• ColKurtz likes this

Check out my Youtube

#16 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 26 2018 - 1:18 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Trachy%20founding.jpg

Operation Trachy Popery has begun. Hopefully I have something in here that she likes.

Messy White - New Jersey Tea

White - Elderberry

Yellow - False Sunflower

Green - False Sunflower bract

Blue - Anise Hyssop

Indigo - Aromatic Aster (early blooming)

Magenta - New England Aster (early blooming)

Pink - Monarda

Added: A friend told me not to do this because "secondary metabolic compounds can kill the fungus." So I've removed it all but single petals of each plant which were cut to a manageable size for a single ant to carry. Apparently this species typically doesn't chew up plant matter. He then recommended: polenta (crushed up corn), oak catkins, dried red bud flowers, rolled oats, caterpillar frass usually and said rice too but was unsure what type aside from saying it was white.

Edited by MrILoveTheAnts, June 26 2018 - 1:56 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#17 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted June 29 2018 - 8:03 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Finally back to my computer! Yes, I had a great time anting with everyone. You guys were great - can't wait until next year's trip. I'll be posting images and video from what I saw shortly (though I didn't take as many images as MrILTA did). 

#18 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted June 29 2018 - 8:29 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Okay, I didn't take many pictures but I did manage to get a few. I let MrILTA do all the photography this time around. 

Pheidole: 
Pheidole sp

I don't actually know which species of Pheidole these are. I know they are NOT Pheidole pilifera, Pheidole bicarinate (both of these species were nearby actually). Also not Pheidole tysoni. It remains a mystery but I'll figure it out. 

Lone Star Tick
Lone Star Tick
I heard that a bit from one of these will cause you to be allergic to red meat! 

Black Widow Spider
Black Widow Spider

Pretty cool spider with little red hearts on its back. 

Edited by WeatherAnt, June 29 2018 - 8:38 PM.

#19 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 30 2018 - 8:17 AM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Leaning toward Pheidole morrisii but not 100% convinced.

Edited by MrILoveTheAnts, June 30 2018 - 8:17 AM.

#20 Offline Major - Posted August 14 2018 - 12:07 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Milta, you said that you might do something in July, it's August. Any update if you were to do anything else this year? I missed the one in June so will their be any other ones?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users