• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lindsay CA ID Request #1 (6/3/2018 - 6/4/2018)

Best Answer YsTheAnt , June 12 2018 - 9:49 PM

Those are Solenopsis xyloni. Native, colorful, and best of all, legal! Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OmniusClone - Posted June 4 2018 - 2:57 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Lindsay, CA, 
2. Date of collection: 6/3/2018
3. Habitat of collection: Both found on the sidewalk outside of a fast food chain. 
4. Length (from head to gaster): Both are approximately 8-9 mm 
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Head, thorax and petiole/post-petiole on both are a ruddy reddish orange hue, while the gaster is a dark brown or black. Both ants seem very glossy and smooth.  
6. Distinguishing characteristics: The waist of both is quite obviously segmented into petiole and post-petiole. Antennae are clubbed at the end. Eyes are small and located lower down on the sides of the head, closer to the antennal fossa. The Mandibles are very circular and thin, with an obvious space between the clypeus and the front plane of the mandible. Several white settae are quite obvious on the gaster and only occur along the segments. 
7. Distinguishing behavior: Both were very energetic when collected, but when placed in test tubes became almost lethargic, barely moving at all. This is the reason the I was only able to get a single angle on both; it was the best angle I had. 
8. Nest description: Unfortunately, I didn't see the nest. 

9. Nuptial flight time and date:The flight took place on 6/382018, but the time I'm not sure of. Both were collected around 21:45. 

To take a more conversational tone, I'm not sure why all my pictures are posting upside-down. I'm not sure if I can edit them in the album to right-side-up. 

In any case, I'm fairly sure that these are both examples of Solenopsis xyloni, although considering the area here it might be invicta as well. 

Frankly, with my lack of experience, it's probably something else entirely. 

Here's the first one:

20180604 005644
20180604 005653
20180604 005705

And here's the second: 

20180604 010003
20180604 005939

Another post will be following this one, as four other queens of a different species were collected at the same time. 

And as always, the help is enthusiastically appreciated! 

Cheers!

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 4 2018 - 3:05 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I believe you are correct.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted June 4 2018 - 7:03 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Looks more like S. xyloni, but we would need pictures with brighter lighting to be sure.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline OmniusClone - Posted June 5 2018 - 1:14 AM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

I'll try to post more pictures in a few days or so. I'd like to give them some time to settle down and hopefully start laying brood. For now, I'll think of these as xyloni. 

Would anyone happen to know if xyloni is polygynous? I understand that invicta can be. It would be interesting to have two in one nest. 

#5 Offline sericultivist - Posted June 10 2018 - 12:24 PM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Xyloni has been flying up here the past few weeks, but you'll know for sure when the first workers arrive! Xyloni are almost candy apple red while invicta are a duller, muddy brown-red.

• OmniusClone likes this

#6 Offline OmniusClone - Posted June 10 2018 - 2:40 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

Well it looks like I'll find out soon enough. Just did my first check on my queens since collecting them last week, and one of the Solenopsis has laid a nice clutch of eggs. As a bonus, I took some more pictures. 

Here's queen #1:

20180610 151952
20180610 152008
20180610 151904

And here's queen #2:

20180610 151823
20180610 151720

Not sure if these will help pin down which they are exactly, or if I'll have to wait a few weeks for when the nanitics (hopefully) show. 

#7 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted June 12 2018 - 9:49 PM   Best Answer

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Those are Solenopsis xyloni. Native, colorful, and best of all, legal!
  • OmniusClone likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users