• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Crematogaster sp.4 Journal [187] (Discontinued)

dspdrewjournal crematogaster pinyon pines dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 17 2015 - 2:59 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
1-17-2015

I found a bunch of these Crematogaster queens while running a black light just after dark on July 26th 2014, in Pinyon Pines, California. These queens were fairly large Crematogaster queens, at around 11 mm. Some of them tore their wings off by the next day, and some left theirs on. The vast majority of these were fertile, and they produced pretty quick.

med_gallery_2_239_199683.jpg

By now many of them have died, and a few have been given away or sold. I now have three colonies of these left, and two of those aren't doing too bad. I've been keeping them in small test tube-sized foraging containers, and today I just moved the best colony into one of my regular foraging containers. This colony has about 10 workers, and a pile of about 35 larvae.

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 17 2015 - 1:29 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Do Crematogaster larvae always look empty for you too?

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 17 2015 - 5:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't understand your question.

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 17 2015 - 6:12 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Does it look like they have food in their gut, or do they always look hungry?

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 17 2015 - 6:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not sure. I thought I remember seeing food in them usually.

#6 Offline Miles - Posted January 17 2015 - 7:13 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

My Crematogaster's larvae always look "full".

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 17 2015 - 7:15 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Mine always look empty, but they are growing. Oh well, whatever works for them I guess...

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 17 2015 - 7:18 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Mine always look empty, but they are growing. Oh well, whatever works for them I guess...

The gut content could be yellowish, which would cause the larvae to appear "empty."

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 17 2015 - 10:58 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It is yellow. Is it normal to have a yellow gut content from eating Aqua 300?

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 18 2015 - 3:30 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It is yellow. Is it normal to have a yellow gut content from eating Aqua 300?

I've explained this previously, that my observation has been that some ants will eat these foods containing dye, and their larvae will grow, but for an unexplained reason, the larval stomach contents do not turn the color of the dye.

I noticed this phenomena particularly in Pheidole dentata, but I also fed these ants small insects at the same time.  They consume both insects and Formula products voraciously.  Now that the colony is living in my bathroom wall, I can leave a whole 1x1 cm cube on the counter, and they will reduce the thing to nothing more than a stain within hours.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 10 2015 - 12:29 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

update?

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 10 2015 - 5:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 4-10-2015

I still have all three colonies. Two of them are small and only have a few workers and brood. The larger one now has about 50 workers and a big pile of brood.

med_gallery_2_239_311578.jpg

med_gallery_2_239_308746.jpg

med_gallery_2_239_69030.jpg
  • Jonathan21700 likes this

#13 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 11 2015 - 6:14 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Nice!

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 12 2015 - 8:24 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 4-10-2015

I still have all three colonies. Two of them are small and only have a few workers and brood. The larger one now has about 50 workers and a big pile of brood.

med_gallery_2_239_311578.jpg

med_gallery_2_239_308746.jpg

med_gallery_2_239_69030.jpg

Looking exactly like my Crematogaster colony. :D

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 2 2015 - 4:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-2-2015

I eventually only had one colony left, that got up to about 100 workers, but I sold it today. I just have too many colonies to take care of.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrewjournal, crematogaster, pinyon pines, dspdrew, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users