• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Freezing Mealworms

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline N_BNZ - Posted May 14 2018 - 6:39 AM

N_BNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a small colony of Camponotus Herculeanus and want to make sure they get a varied diet so got them some fruit flies and mealworms.

I've read many times its a good idea to freeze insects before feeding to reduce the risk of mites and it means you can buy a tub of something and store it, as clearly with only a handful of workers it's going to take a while to get through them.

However when I defrost the mealworms they turn black, is this normal? They don't look great will they eat them? Did I manage to mess up freezing Mealworms!?

Any help is gratefully received.

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 14 2018 - 6:58 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Instead of freezing them, dip them into boiling water for a few seconds, it'll kill them and all harmful organisms on them (mites, mold spores, etc.) It keeps the insides nice and mushy for the ants :).

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted May 14 2018 - 10:17 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California
The ants shouldn’t be too picky about what color the worms are. How do you defrost your worms? I would put them in water for a few seconds first.

#4 Offline N_BNZ - Posted May 14 2018 - 10:58 AM

N_BNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tried just letting them warm up and in hot water and both times turned black... Figured freezing would stop me having to deal with a big box of whatever mealworms turn into.

#5 Offline AntKeeperNoob - Posted May 14 2018 - 11:23 AM

AntKeeperNoob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada
I typically boil mealworms for several minutes and actually cook them before freezing. When I thaw it to feed ants the mealworm flesh do not turn black.
The mealworm flesh is more solid but I have fed it to lasius, myrmica, crematogaster, apheanogaster and camponotus species. They all seemed happy to eat it up.

#6 Offline CoolColJ - Posted May 14 2018 - 1:59 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I think they sometimes take on some black stuff inside due to waste or some defensive mechanism when they are about to die from the freezing.

I know Witchia grubs ooze some brown stuff in the same conditions

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#7 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted May 14 2018 - 3:27 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I'll try flash freezing some in liquid nitrogen to see if that helps. Will post results later this week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users