• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Michigan WTB Pheidole sp.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 4 2018 - 12:54 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Still interested - 9-11-2019

The title sums it up. Shoot me a pm if you can help me out with a Pheidole queen. I'd prefer to have it shipped, but would be willing to work out pickup too.

Potential sellers: Please only respond via PM. Thank you.

Edited by Jamiesname, September 11 2019 - 6:51 AM.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted May 4 2018 - 1:36 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Please add your location to your profile.

8. Members must accurately represent their location in their Member Profile to participate in offers to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise distribute living ants of any caste or life stage. For members located in the United States, offers of live ants are only permitted between members who reside in the same U.S. state. Cross-border offers are not permitted between any members (participating members must reside in the same country or trading zone).

• AntsBC likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 4 2018 - 3:25 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Please add your location to your profile.

8. Members must accurately represent their location in their Member Profile to participate in offers to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise distribute living ants of any caste or life stage. For members located in the United States, offers of live ants are only permitted between members who reside in the same U.S. state. Cross-border offers are not permitted between any members (participating members must reside in the same country or trading zone).

Done. Thanks for the heads up. Still looking for a Pheidole queen ☺

Edited by Jamiesname, May 4 2018 - 3:42 PM.

#4 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 21 2018 - 1:11 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Still looking to buy.

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 21 2018 - 8:37 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Just catch one. Don't be lazy. I would never spend money on a ant queen. I would only buy formicariums. Besides, isn't it funner to catch and raise your own queen instead of having someone do it for you? Look next year in June to August.

Edited by Kaelwizard, October 21 2018 - 8:38 AM.

#6 Offline Jamiesname - Posted October 22 2018 - 1:03 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Just catch one. Don't be lazy. I would never spend money on a ant queen. I would only buy formicariums. Besides, isn't it funner to catch and raise your own queen instead of having someone do it for you? Look next year in June to August.

You're being awfully presumptuous, Kael. I've been called a lot of things, and some are even true, but lazy isn't among them. I'm self employed and I work 60 hours a week. Any free time is spent with my family. Fortunately for me, my kids enjoy looking for queens too so it works out on that front.

To answer your question, of course I would rather find my own queen, but since they've only been confirmed (to my knowlege) 4 hours away from me - near the Grand Rapids area and/or the southern border of the state, my hope of finding one is slim at best since I'm in Northern Michigan. Trust me though, I'm still going to look just like I have been for the last two years in my area, and the closest area near me that has some promising accounts, although unverified according to some sources - Arenac County.

Don't be so quick to jump to assumptions next time, but hey, thanks for bumping the thread.

Edited by Jamiesname, October 22 2018 - 1:06 PM.

• Herdo, Canadian anter, AntsBC and 2 others like this

#7 Offline Leo - Posted February 8 2019 - 1:30 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Queen ants can show up in surprising areas. Like for instance I caught a few unexpected pheidole queens yesterday on a flyover. I found 7 in total yesterday and found another today (though I have no more test tubes and space for them so i'm going to put them back where I found them). 

Edited by Leo, February 8 2019 - 1:30 AM.

#8 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 9 2019 - 9:01 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Can THA ship queen ants?

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 31 2019 - 7:42 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Can THA ship queen ants?

Only in North Carolina. I don't think they have a permit.

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 28 2019 - 4:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Still interested - 6-8-2019
The title sums it up. Shoot me a pm if you can help me out with a Pheidole queen. I'd prefer to have it shipped, but would be willing to work out pickup too.

Pheidole are flying right now. I have 8 Pheidole bicarinata queens from this week's flights.

#11 Offline Jamiesname - Posted June 28 2019 - 3:37 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Still interested - 6-8-2019

Pheidole are flying right now. I have 8 Pheidole bicarinata queens from this week's flights.

Thanks for the heads up. I think that you might be a few weeks ahead of us here in Michigan though. We just had our Camponotus flight 2 days ago in my area.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 28 2019 - 3:44 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Then I'm a few months ahead of you lol!

#13 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 11 2019 - 6:51 AM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Updated

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 11 2019 - 7:05 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
My colony just got their first two majors. At 50 workers currently.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#15 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 11 2019 - 12:01 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

My colony just got their first two majors. At 50 workers currently.

I hope they are still doing good! Love A lot of ant species, but Pheidole is one of my favorites

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#16 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 11 2019 - 2:31 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Pheidole in the great lakes region is fairly rare. Their flights are over for the year, so hopefully you find the buyer. I was lucky enough to get 5 Pheidole bicarinata queens, one Pheidole pilifera queen, and one Pheidole morrisii queen. Although so far my Pheidole bicarinata are the only ones to have produced any workers. I would suggest you go as far south as possible, and go to a beach environment, when you hunt for them next year. That's where I found my Pheidole spp. in Northern IL.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#17 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 14 2019 - 8:16 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Pheidole in the great lakes region is fairly rare. Their flights are over for the year, so hopefully you find the buyer. I was lucky enough to get 5 Pheidole bicarinata queens, one Pheidole pilifera queen, and one Pheidole morrisii queen. Although so far my Pheidole bicarinata are the only ones to have produced any workers. I would suggest you go as far south as possible, and go to a beach environment, when you hunt for them next year. That's where I found my Pheidole spp. in Northern IL.

Thanks for the advice!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users