• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Care Sheet - Pseudomyrmex gracilis

pseudomyrmex pseudomyrmex gracilis elongate twig ant elongate twig ants twig ant twig ants

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 22 2018 - 4:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Scientific Name:  Pseudomyrmex gracilis

Common Names:  Elongate twig ants, twig ants, mexican twig ants

Distribution:  Native to: Texas, Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. (There are no records in Chile but it is likely to be native there too)
Dubious in: Chihuahua, Sonora, and Sinaloa. (Northwestern Mexico) & West Bengal (Bangladesh)
Invasive to: Hawaii, Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Jamaica, Hispaniola (Haiti/Dominican Republic), Lesser Antilles, & Trinidad and Tobago. Likely to be invasive to Georgia state as well.
Indoor Introduced to: California, United Kingdom, Netherlands.

Queen size:  ~11 mm

Worker size:  ~9 mm

Male size:  ~11 mm

Natural Habitat:  Tight spaces. Twigs, oak galls, rotting wood, extremely rarely inside homes.

Circadian Activity:  Very diurnal. Rarely are out at night unless they are dealing with prey. Once the colony gets larger, they will start to actively forage during the day and night.

Mating Flight:  Mating happens from March - November. Mostly found from May - August.

Queen Founding Method:  Semi-Claustral

Monogyne or Polygyne:  Monogyne. They do not tolerate multiple fertile queens in their nest.

Average time from egg to worker:  Egg to Larva - ~5 days, Larva to Pupa - ~25 days, Pupa to Worker - ~10 days

Recommended Temperature:  These ants love heat. Their room temperature is 70° - 75° F (~21° to ~23.9° C). I run a thin 80° F (~26.7° C) heat cable along the opposite end of the nest from their water source to keep them warm (This is totally optional but they like it in my case). Keep in mind that the entire nest should not be heated like that, or moisture will evaporate causing the ants extreme unrest.

Recommended Humidity:  They prefer very dry nests. When keeping them in TarheelAnts nests, do not put any water in the water tower. Filling the Nestmate is encouraged so that they can drink and it can provide for small amounts of moisture, so long as the Nestmate is not close to their heat source.

Preferred Foods:  Offer a constant supply of honey, and always cut up protein other than fruit flies.

Hibernation Details:  These tropical ants, so they do not hibernate. They will slow down brood production during colder months, but will still forage a bit.

Escape Barrier Methods:  Fluon (PTFE). This is the only barrier that I know of that keeps them contained. These ants are escape artists and great climbers, so I would always at least recommend an air tight lid.

Difficulty Rating:  6/10

Reasons why:
Semi-Claustral queens
Queens are typically found foraging, which means all of the brood they've been raising prior to you catching them will be lost.
Very good escape artists (Airtight lidded outworld w/ Fluon strongly recommended)
Queens are difficult to distinguish from workers
This species’ stings can be pretty painful.
Rapid and unpredictable movements due to their amazing vision.

Bite & Sting Rating:  ~5/10. This species bites and stings. They usually bite before following up with a sting. Even if they fall on you, they take a few seconds before they even try to sting you. If you are intentionally aggravating their nest(s), you’re just asking to be stung. Bites don’t really hurt. Stings can be quite painful, but are not on Myrmecia or Paraponera clavata level of pain.

Special Care or Interesting Notes:
These ants have excellent vision, and can detect you from multiple feet away.
Most likely able to chew through Ytong.
They hate airflow, if you want to move them create airflow in the undesirable area.
They are heat lovers, but don’t scorch them alive.
When the colony is smaller in scale, the queen will likely take part in foraging.
They are solo foragers, so they will appreciate larger outworlds.
The outworld likely needs to have a strong barrier such as Fluon (PTFE) applied, and have an air tight lid if you want feeding/containing them to be easy. TarheelAnts' "Premium Desert Scene" or Empire of Ants' outworlds work fantastic.
I find the best setup is an airtight outworld connected via tubing to a Mini-Hearth Type III.
If the colony’s alates fail to fly, the males will die or be eaten, and the queen alates will get their wings ripped off and act as workers or be killed.
They much prefer dead protein sources, except for fruit flies once the colony is bigger.
The queen will often be elected as a replete in the colony, workers like to give her lots of honey/other sweets. This can also make her easily identifiable when the colony starts growing quickly.

Additional Links:
http://antwiki.org/w...myrmex_gracilis
http://www.antmaps.o...myrmex.gracilis
https://www.antweb.o...is&rank=species

Information submitted by Ants_Texas

Edited by dspdrew, March 5 2022 - 8:10 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#2 Offline Michca - Posted August 1 2018 - 3:40 PM

Michca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi friend! I just caught a Pseudomyrmex gracilis queen today! And I just happened to have a mini hearth ready to go. I'm hoping to keep her healthy and happy.

#3 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted August 1 2018 - 7:22 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Hi friend! I just caught a Pseudomyrmex gracilis queen today! And I just happened to have a mini hearth ready to go. I'm hoping to keep her healthy and happy.

Good luck! Hope this care sheet helped.

#4 Offline canu900 - Posted August 13 2019 - 7:04 PM

canu900

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

how do you make a test tube set comfortable for the queen to lay eggs. anybody have an example of their set up

#5 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted September 15 2019 - 6:30 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

how do you make a test tube set comfortable for the queen to lay eggs. anybody have an example of their set up

I've never had any luck with test tubes. They usually pull at the cotton, and the tubes end up being too humid. They like dry conditons, so I use small TarheelAnts nests and don't use water towers. 

Edited by Ants_Texas, September 15 2019 - 6:30 PM.

#6 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted March 30 2020 - 2:49 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

I just wanted to add to this as I've got a friend with a multi-queen colony of these. I'm willing to send a picture for evidence as soon as possible. Got to go ask for a picture now :D

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pseudomyrmex, pseudomyrmex gracilis, elongate twig ant, elongate twig ants, twig ant, twig ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users