• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Established Queen Starting Anew

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PerthAntKeeper - Posted April 15 2018 - 3:33 AM

PerthAntKeeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

While trying to dig up what I thought was a small nest under a rock, I dug into another large nest of small black ants and eventually caught their queen, the problem is it took a while and most of the ants had run away with the eggs and since they were just the very common small black ants I wasn't sure whether the ones walking around were hers or from another colony... So I just took her and put her into a test tube setup with a cut up cotton swab soaked in sugar water for food. She hasn't laid any eggs yet (it has been only around 2 days) and hangs around the blocked entrance of the test tube. Will she be able to start a colony on her own again or did she have to have workers with her to manage? 

#2 Offline Phoenix - Posted April 15 2018 - 3:49 AM

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

She'll most likely perish without the workers, best to release her back to where you found her.

Colonies

Camponotus cf. albosparsus — Journal

Camponotus cf. auriventris — Journal
Camponotus sp.
Colobopsis spp.
Crematogaster sp.
Nylanderia sp.  Journal
Pheidole cf. parva
Solenopsis geminata — Journal

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted April 15 2018 - 8:38 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

She'll most likely perish without the workers, best to release her back to where you found her.

Once you keep a queen or any ants in captivity, it's best to keep them there or exterminate them.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 15 2018 - 8:57 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I just did the same with L.flavus.. 👀
lol . I flipped a rock and saw a small group of the yellow workers.. They were so cool looking and just sitting there and I wanted to add some chaos and see them scurry around; I took my shovel only like a few inches down and lifted the dirt and kinda set it back down..and unexpectedly the queen booked it out.
I scooped her up with any workers I could now find (only like 10) lol
I just had a few empty tt with me (not prepared with water) so it was just her workers and some dirt.
I put a dab of honey in there (which they ignored and just moved dirt around her) so covered them and planned in the morning to attach a tt and let them move, but when I checked on her this AM all the workers had died overnight and I feel horrible for not attaching a proper tt sooner.
I assume bringing them inside with the extreme temp change was too much for them and/or lack of water/proper humidity on my part by not being in a proper setup shocked and killed them, idk
But now she has to start anew too. :X
She seems fine and much happier in her water filled 'oasis' test tube
I'm going to see what happens and hope she starts laying ..

Good luck with yours too! Seems we're in the same boat ;)

#5 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 15 2018 - 9:02 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
@perth.. Where do u live to try to identify ur ant queen. ? It depends if she's fully or semi claustral and/or has the will to feed herself. Lol
I assume u have her in a test tube setup so she has moist medium/water/humidity.. And would offer her a sugar water cotton swab tip or tiny, and I mean tiiiiny ant sized sliver of protein(like tiny earthworm segment or sliver ofturkey lunchmeat) for her just in case and see what happens
LUCK TO YOU!!
~Loki

Edited by StayLoki, April 15 2018 - 9:08 AM.

#6 Offline PerthAntKeeper - Posted April 15 2018 - 10:05 AM

PerthAntKeeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

@perth.. Where do u live to try to identify ur ant queen. ? It depends if she's fully or semi claustral and/or has the will to feed herself. Lol
I assume u have her in a test tube setup so she has moist medium/water/humidity.. And would offer her a sugar water cotton swab tip or tiny, and I mean tiiiiny ant sized sliver of protein(like tiny earthworm segment or sliver ofturkey lunchmeat) for her just in case and see what happens
LUCK TO YOU!!
~Loki

I live in Australia and yeah once I get my shipment from ebay I will try to identify her and my other ants. I assumed if they were an established queen being fully or semi claustral wouldn't matter because they've already had their first workers, and would need food, not too sure though but it can't hurt letting her have access to sugar water. I gave it to the other queen I have in a test tube setup as well and she was drinking it for a while haha left her eggs and everything. But yeah hopefully it works out for both of our queens, would really hate to have caused her untimely death... 

#7 Offline Zmagz - Posted April 15 2018 - 10:11 AM

Zmagz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

If you want her to lay eggs, she needs protein too because queens need protein to lay eggs but I'm pretty sure its really really hard to establish a colony without workers when queen has already founded a colony.

#8 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 15 2018 - 10:31 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

LUCK TO YOU!!
~Loki

I live in Australia and yeah once I get my shipment from ebay I will try to identify her and my other ants. I assumed if they were an established queen being fully or semi claustral wouldn't matter because they've already had their first workers, and would need food, not too sure though but it can't hurt letting her have access to sugar water. I gave it to the other queen I have in a test tube setup as well and she was drinking it for a while haha left her eggs and everything. But yeah hopefully it works out for both of our queens, would really hate to have caused her untimely death...

I was thinking the same..as she already founding colony with her (and a few eggs I lost in the scuffle) that she should produce more... Maybe we're crazy hahaha

I agree with z below that we should offer protein at this point, as she's used to workers feeding her protein at this point in her life, and hope she'll fend for herself ?

#9 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 15 2018 - 10:35 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

..............but I'm pretty sure its really really hard to establish a colony without workers when queen has already founded a colony.

@zmags.. Why is this?
I'm new to the game, and maybe ill stop stealing founded queens from their chambers if I get a good answer to this. Lol
((I just haven't had any luck at p.imparis swarms last few months and I'm sure I'll find other queens this summer (of other sp.) )) but yea..whyyy?
Is it just the environmental changes being so extreme? Pheromones go out to abandoned ship and die when disturbed?(lol) Or they're just 'lazy' happy queens before we destroy their colony? What's up?

Edited by StayLoki, April 15 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#10 Offline PerthAntKeeper - Posted April 17 2018 - 12:38 AM

PerthAntKeeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Yeah, unfortunately she did die.. Not too sure why though but that sucks.

#11 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 17 2018 - 4:39 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

It seems that a lot of queens get used to being fed by their workers and lose their ability to take care of themselves when they lose their workers. I would not recommend collecting colonies without also getting the majority of the workers.

• noebl1 likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#12 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted April 17 2018 - 6:24 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Unless they are argentines. In which you probably wouldn't want to get them at all...

#13 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 17 2018 - 2:48 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
My C. Modoc colony lost all of it's workers and all but one piece of brood, that eventually died. I stepped up my care for her, fed her, made sure all needs were met, and she recently layed 12+ eggs. If you are persistent enough, queens may just be successful.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#14 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 19 2018 - 8:04 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
@perth OH NO I'm sorry to hear that!!! Hope you find a new queen to look after, gl

in my case, my queens still kicking..
She seems content and has been checking her abdomen a lot and fussing with cotton.. I hope mine has the will to lay some more .. Idk 😬

***oh my gosh oh my gosh ..I just checked her I've let her do her thing the last few days in the dark quiet place and I'm pretty sure there's an egg in there!!!
I'm sorry to hijack your post Perth, I'm just so excited!!! 👀 ahhh omg wow lol

Edited by StayLoki, April 19 2018 - 8:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users