• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Reference for genus specific formicariums?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 10 2018 - 8:03 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I think we should compile genus specific pictures and videos of ant nests, so as to better construct formicariums better suited to their needs. This would be especially helpful for newer ones in the any keeping hobby.

I know many are focused on one or two general designs to fit a wide variety of ants, and others (ex. Ants Canada hybrid nest line) have begun to introduce genus specific nests. However, the more I study ant formicariums, the less they look like actual ant nests.

Do you all think this is an actual need?

Edited by Ants4fun, March 10 2018 - 8:04 AM.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 10 2018 - 11:37 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Ants conquered the natural world because of their incredible ability to adapt to a wide range of environments. Only specialized ants, such as leafcutter and weaver ants, really require a specific formicarium construction. Organic shapes that resemble subterranean chambers aren't necessary, as ants will customize their environment by placing substrate in cracks and sealing off areas, wicking moisture from place to place, and even using their own bodies to custom tailor the nest.

As for commercial "genus-specific" formicaries, I believe this to be more of a gimmick that's appealing to kids and uninformed novice hobbyists, as opposed to a practical or useful design consideration. Perhaps the most glaring evidence of this is the fact that the products I've seen are extremely cavernous, having much more vertical height to the nest chambers and tunnels than will ever be found in nature. That isn't to say that this is a bad thing, but it, along with the plastic construction, does defeat the purpose of faithfully emulating an actual ant nest.
  • ctantkeeper, Kevin, Nathant2131 and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 10 2018 - 1:00 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I agree that current species specific formicariums are not up to my liking. However, I wonder if many ants are more specialized than some realize. For example, psuedomyrmex and camponotus prefer cramped elongated nest setups, while harvester ants prefer setups with large circular Chambers.

Perhaps the current formicariums market isn't as three dimensional as it should be. Also, many formicariums setups (ex. Acrylic nests) don't necessarily allow for too much customization.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users