• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Noobie question ;)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 12:40 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hey guys..my name's Amanda!! I'm a super noob.. I literally just found my first queen and I'm wondering if I made a huge mistake?? I'm in new york, its march 1st obviously but its been in the 50s the last few days and rained lightly yesterday. I've been researching ants and formicariums for months..I was gonna order a l.flavus from antskingdom in the spring but I was walking my dog earlier and noticed a little ant hill with a little 'solider' testing the temps lol it looked like a little queen borrow or sorts so I thought of bringing a shovel and little container when i went to go again this afternoon.. I didn't think id find it again but I actually did..sort of overturned it with the shovel and there she was! A queen.. With wings tho and a few workers ..no eggs now that I think about it.. There was another smaller winged ant who I scooped up too just in case it was a male and she hasn't mated.. Apon reflection I didn't see any eggs or larvae and I'm wondering if I just kidnapped a queen who isn't even gravid??
Just wait and see if eggs come?

#2 Offline Reevak - Posted March 1 2018 - 1:02 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

If she had workers with her then she should start laying again when they feel like the weather has become warm enough. Also, you can't order from antskingdom. It is illegal for ants to be transported in between states and in and out of the country. But I am also in New York and if you are interested in buying from me this Spring then just send me a private message.

Edited by Reevak, March 1 2018 - 1:06 PM.

• disasterants likes this

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted March 1 2018 - 1:14 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Welcome to formiculture, and yeah, unfortunately it's illegal. Like reevak said, he can sell you something in the New York area or you can check out GAN.

• Reevak and disasterants like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 1:25 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hmm ok. Yea I mean it let me 'put them in the cart' but I didn't go all the way with ordering..I thought as soon as put my address in that would come up. I figured it was too good to be true, as I saw the shipping/importing laws awhile ago when I starting looking up species lol (to be honest I thought it might be allowed cuz the species is where I live..but I see now its like strictly state to state sales to prevent invasive species..I mean I get it.just had no idea ants had so much protection) hahaha

Thank you. Yea I guess ur right..she wouldn't have them with her I suppose if she didn't lay them ..! Lol ill just have to see what happens when it starts to warm up more..and get her in a test tube asap:X

Ill look around here and keep learning, and post some pics when I get them settled in .. Ant madness has officially begun for me ;)

Edited by StayLoki, March 2 2018 - 9:53 PM.

#5 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 1:29 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Yea I read about gan awhile ago but I was all 'an ant mafia? Nahhhh' but then I looked at prices online and some queens can be more than 100 dollars?!?!! I was shocked and figured I'd try to rescue one from my pool this summer after mating seasons.. Didn't think id stumble apon one quite like I did today ..and pretty sure its a l.flavus too. I hope I don't kill her :( lmao

Edited by StayLoki, March 1 2018 - 1:30 PM.

#6 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 1:39 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
So you guys.. Obviously spur of the moment I gently scooped them and some of their dirt into a sm container.. I work for a veterinarian, ill get a sterile test-tube 2mar..but its ok to chill them for a little bit to transfer them to tube? Fridge or freezer? Just a few mins??

Edited by StayLoki, March 1 2018 - 1:40 PM.

#7 Offline Reevak - Posted March 1 2018 - 1:53 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

There's no need to chill them unless you think they'll escape, and definitely not the freezer. It would be be best to make a test tube setup, wrap it in something (like tin foil or paper) to make the inside of the tube darker, place it in the container with the ants, and then place the container in the light.

#8 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 2:08 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Yea...that would work if I had thought [censored] thru and drilled a hole in prep for test tube and plugged it. Lmao. Its just a clear zip lock container..square like 3"x3" I put a drop of water and tiiiniest drop of honey on one side and a pile of dirt in one corner for her to dig in if she wants. Then put the lid on with tiny holes punched all over. :X I've only peeked once or twice and i can see right away its not holding moisture in the dirt for her so taped up some holes. Need to think smaller and have no problem doing test tube setup until weather changes and she has more numbers...just didn't even get one yet as I wasn't expecting to find her me being a totally NOOB HAHAHAA

#9 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 2:11 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I could try to gently/quickly like exacto a hole when I'm ready and get tube entrance in there for them to move into..but was just thinking of chilling for a min and gently separating them from debris/dirt and gently getting into tt...lol

#10 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 2:18 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
She's currently sitting on the lid (its red so maybe its dark to her) upside down surveying the workers ..who are running around frantically making a cave/tunnel for her and checking on her lol she runs a hard ship. I'm gonna have to come up with a good name. LOL

#11 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 3:03 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
PpXp4e.jpg

#12 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted March 1 2018 - 3:25 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine
My concern with there being multiple winged ants in the nest is how do you tell if it's not just alates that have yet to fly? In a short amount of time you will see queens all over the place if you look for them, so personally I'd put her back as she may not of even flown yet. That will give you time to get test tubes ready, etc.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#13 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted March 1 2018 - 3:29 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine
Although from what I can see she looks like she could be a parasitic species by her shape. But I am terrible at IDing ants. Can just wait and see. Once settled down in a test tube in the dark she should start laying within a few weeks if she is going to with spring right around the corner.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#14 Offline Lazarus - Posted March 1 2018 - 3:30 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

I'm gonna have to come up with a good name. LOL

PpXp4e.jpg

Call her "Betty Crocker" and she will already have her name on her new home. :)
  • Naturenut1233 likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#15 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 3:59 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
hahhahaha omg Lazarus too funny. 😂

@naturenut ahhh no way you think??? I mean do think its kinda strange she's just up top starring at them... The little guys have gored on honey and are swollen with a pretty golden color lol some go and feed her I think and appear to try to coax her down but she's just been sitting up there. :/

I only set the container in the window to try and get some good light but my phone was taking horrible close ups of her/them. Ill try to get some better ones and post them in ID for help .. . .

#16 Offline Will230145 - Posted March 1 2018 - 5:14 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
She lookss like Lasius Neoniger or Lasius niger!
She could be an alate from a colony, and has not mated yet. You might just have to wait!

#17 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 6:35 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
O man u guys.. Antdude says she's a winter ant ..Prenolepis imperis ..super cool. Man I hope she's fertile and that I keep her alive lmaooo
*off to research*

http://www.formicult...4823#entry84823

Edited by StayLoki, March 1 2018 - 6:36 PM.

#18 Offline Serafine - Posted March 1 2018 - 10:31 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Please make her a test tube setup. That container thingy isn't really a good home and it will be an awful task to keep it moist without permanently disturbing the queen.

Call her "Betty Crocker" and she will already have her name on her new home. :)

To the Crocker cave!

FAIRY GO... erm, I mean ANTS!

latest?cb=20141209174819&path-prefix=en

Edited by Serafine, March 1 2018 - 10:37 PM.

• Lazarus likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#19 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 10:55 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I'm deff not gonna name her betty cocker lmao 😂
I plan on getting her in a tt asap.
She's been cursing at me for my whole Netflix binge anyway..
Sorry, won't get my FREE sterile test tubes til 2mar..
hmmm she needs a better name, like Sassasfrass ;)

#20 Offline Reevak - Posted March 1 2018 - 10:57 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Janice is a good name

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users