• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2-10-18 Male ID San Francisco Bay Area, California

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2018 - 1:21 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
Alright so back in January this year I found a male alate at my school. People on Instagram said it was probably Apheanogaster. I only took one, non-macro image of it since I didn’t have any test tubes to bring it home and get a good picture of it. So speculations are probably as good as I’m going to get.
-Date of Collection: 12:15pm, Jan 16, 2018
-Habitat of collection: Outside concrete area near some recently planted shrubs. I should also mention that my school is surrounded by chaparral.
-Length (from head to gaster): Unknown
-Color: Brown/Black
Pics:
(I can’t get a BBCode link because Imgur isn’t letting me log in on the mobile website so I gotta use the app)

https://imgur.com/a/tKSZI

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 10 2018 - 2:31 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Probably Aphaenogaster. It does look somewhat Attine, though.

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted February 10 2018 - 11:55 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I'm assuming this is referring to the same Aphaenogaster male alate from your Prenolepis journal post. Anyways I'm fairly certain that none of the fungus farming ants fly during January, nor do Aphaenogaster. Might be a Veromessor species, since they do fly during January.

Edited by LC3, February 10 2018 - 11:58 PM.

#4 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 11 2018 - 12:16 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Yeah, this is the one. One of my friends was sure it was Aphaenogaster. On this day it was the warmest it had been. Brian L. Fisher also had told me that Bay Area ant behavior is quite different than ants of other regions, so we have different nuptial flight schedules than normal. And according to another friend who has been anting longer than I have, says that "Aphaenogaster fly whenever it gets warm here." Heres a quote from Brian Fisher from an email he sent me: "Unlike in more cooler regions, ants do not hibernate in the Bay area but life cycles such a reproduction (when winged queens and males are produced) and foraging patterns are determined by the weather and climate." Gotta listen to the man himself lol. So based on this information, have you changed your thoughts on what the male is?

#5 Offline LC3 - Posted February 11 2018 - 12:25 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Interesting info. In that case I think it's Aphaenogaster occidentalis.

#6 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 11 2018 - 12:37 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Interesting info. In that case I think it's Aphaenogaster occidentalis.

Wow, that's exactly what my other friend said. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users