• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Sp. or Aphaenogaster Longicep?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CoolColJ - Posted February 1 2018 - 2:00 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I'm from Sydney, and thinking of getting an ant queen

What would you recommend between Pheidole Sp. or Aphaenogaster Longiceps?

I've never seen an Aphaenogaster Longiceps in person. Are the Aphaenogaster much larger?

While I have a Pheidole Sp. nest in my backyard, at least I didn't realise until yesterday!

I saw all these tiny ants wandering around and never thought much of them, they are much smaller than the regular black ants I have everywhere in my backyard.

I put a few pieces of nectarine near another different ant entrance, hoping to lure these out - they are around 4-5mm in length and are dark redd'ish/orange with a black gaster (have any idea what these ants are?)

But these ants never seem to be interested in fruit

I came back an hour later, and see a trail of these tiny ants leading from the fruit to another hole 1 feet away, and then spotted a big headed soldier ant among them - and then it hit me these were Pheidole SP. ants!

Kinda interesting that this Pheidole nest is 12 inches away from the red/black ants nest in a pavement corner crack, and a black ants nest also within 2 feet of it, and they don't seem to fight.

Also saw this Pheidole major move erracticly back to the nest and enter it, which at the time, made me think they must be the same colony as these tiny ants (workers).

Then when I came back 30 mins later, I saw a major (maybe the same major) getting dragged out of the nest by a few tiny workers, like they were trying to pull it apart - which made me question if they were actually from the same colony....

I shoo'ed them away and moved the major away, but it died a few mins later.

I moved it back in front of the nest and tiny workers dragged the body back inside the nest

hmm all very strange....

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted February 1 2018 - 2:46 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Pheidole are a LOT less picky and in my opinion easier to take care of and simpler. I'd go for them if you can. :)

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline CoolColJ - Posted February 2 2018 - 2:21 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Pheidole are a LOT less picky and in my opinion easier to take care of and simpler. I'd go for them if you can. :)

Thanks

Yeah I was considering them initially, because they mostly eat seeds and fruits (at least the one nest in my backyard does) so easier for upkeep
The majors are cool, but I wish the workers were larger, they are so small and generic ;)

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users