• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BugFinder's Pogonomyrmex Californicus

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 9:52 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

California Red Harvester Ant.  I purchased this queen from Mike Busto/GAN and picked her up From Andrew on 12/18/14.  I suspect she was one of the queens described in this journal.  She came with about 6 nanitics and about 3 larva.  She stayed with me in my hotel room over night and we drove home the following morning.  I was worried about the drive home as it's usually a pretty rough drive (Anaheim to San Jose, CA) but they seemed to do just fine.

On 12/20 I purchased a "cube" nest from Ants National to get them started, but I'm hoping to get them into something else when they are large enough.  I'm worried about transferring them from their test tube to the cube because it doesn't look like it comes with a connection port to hook the test tube up to, and I don't feel comfortable trying to move them myself.  I may have to buy another nest if there is no way to connect the cube to my test tube.  I'll see when it gets here.

They're moving around super slow this morning so I'm wondering if it got too cold in here for them last night.  The low this week is 45 degrees, and last night was around 50, so I don't think it is too cold for them, but I really don't know.  Since I've been writing this it has warmed up and they're moving around more, so I guess that's normal.  I hope she continues laying eggs.  I want her to live for a long time and produce many babies.

5.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by BugFinder, December 21 2014 - 9:09 PM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline DesertAntz - Posted December 21 2014 - 10:19 AM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Good luck with your Pogonomyrmex. 

Is this your first colony? 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 21 2014 - 1:09 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I think I already saw this on FB... Nice colony. (y) These Pogonomyrmex absolutely love byFormica Blue 100- just in case if you cannot get them to take other things.

#4 Offline dean_k - Posted December 21 2014 - 1:09 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I would leave them in there for now. That setup should be good for up to 50 ants at least.

And then get Tar Heel Ants' Nucleus -> http://www.tarheelan...ia/nucleus.html

Grats on the colony. Ants will drive you nuts, test your patience, and make you rethink about your sanity.

#5 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 2:38 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Good luck with your Pogonomyrmex. 

Is this your first colony? 

Yes.

I think I already saw this on FB... Nice colony. (y) These Pogonomyrmex absolutely love byFormica Blue 100- just in case if you cannot get them to take other things.

Thank you!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#6 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 2:39 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I would leave them in there for now. That setup should be good for up to 50 ants at least.

And then get Tar Heel Ants' Nucleus -> http://www.tarheelan...ia/nucleus.html

Grats on the colony. Ants will drive you nuts, test your patience, and make you rethink about your sanity.

Why do you recommend the Nucleus?   Why would you recommend leaving them where they are instead of using the cube?  I appreciate the suggestions, but the why is just as important to me as the what.  Best Regards.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#7 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 3:11 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I just re-counted and it looks like I have 7 larva.

wQtY0gG.jpg

Edited by BugFinder, December 21 2014 - 3:11 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#8 Offline dean_k - Posted December 21 2014 - 3:15 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Relocating a colony is a stressful job for both you and the ants. It's common to see some workers and larvae die even from seemingly successful relocation. I think it's the best to leave them as they are until they grow in size and can afford some deaths.

I am recommending Nucleus because it has a removable side window that lets you access the nest directly.

Edited by dean_k, December 21 2014 - 3:15 PM.

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 6:23 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Thanks Dean.  I really appreciate your advice, and your time.  Happpy holidays!

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#10 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 7:24 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It looks like two of what I was calling Larva are actually pupa.  I've learned alot about ants this week, lol.  So by my last count I believe I have 5 larvae and 2 pupa, and I still don't see any eggs.

Here's another picture, just because I like sharing them, lol.

7bdxgWz.jpg?1

Edited by BugFinder, December 21 2014 - 7:31 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#11 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 7:33 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I just saw the queen sitting in a funky position with her gaster curled underneath her (photo below).  Is this abnormal?  Is she laying an egg or pooping or something?

LQh5JhP.jpg

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#12 Offline DesertAntz - Posted December 21 2014 - 8:27 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

She could be cleaning herself. Or laying an egg. 

It's normal though. 

• BugFinder likes this

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#13 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 8:48 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Do you see any eggs in any of my photos?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#14 Offline dean_k - Posted December 21 2014 - 9:00 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

All ants do it, not just queens. They are cleaning themselves.

• dspdrew and BugFinder like this

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 25 2014 - 3:50 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Don't be tempted to move them into a larger nest before they grow. I made that mistake and excitedly moved them into a Nucleus. After a few workers died, the rest didn't know to forage and huddled in the bottom chamber. Thankfully I was able to relocate them to a Talus where they've had no problems.

• drtrmiller and BugFinder like this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#16 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 27 2014 - 12:53 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

So we left town for Xmas, and left the ants at home.  Knowing how cold my home gets when we turn the heater off, I left the ants on top of the refrigerator hoping they'll get some warmth.  Since we were going to be gone for a few days, I left them some extra food.  

When I got home it appeared they had gotten quite cold.  At least one worker was dead, and they had buried quite a bit of the food I put in there for them.  I removed the food today and left the cover off the top of the box they are in hoping to dry it out a bit.  Today's count looks like 6 larvae, two pupae, 7 workers, no eggs that I can see.

Here's a photo from today

09UHgki.jpg

Video from today of them doing their daily chores

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#17 Offline dean_k - Posted December 27 2014 - 1:12 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

What happened to lighting? I can hardly see.

Anyway, it hurts A LOT to lose workers when your colony is small, so I feel for you.

#18 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 27 2014 - 1:16 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

The lighting in my home is kinda difficult to manage.  It's either so bright it creates a glare on the test tube, or it's too dark.  I try hard to reach that middle ground, but today it didn't work well.  Sorry for the poor lighting.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#19 Offline LAnt - Posted December 28 2014 - 9:51 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
I just started reading this today. Unless you had other business, why did you drive all the way to LA? You can just wait till spring/summer and catch your own. don't mean to kill your buisness by the way Andrew.

Edited by LAnt, December 28 2014 - 9:53 PM.

#20 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 28 2014 - 9:54 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I just started reading this today. Unless you had other business, why did you drive all the way to LA? You can just wait till spring/summer and catch your own.

Thanks for your question.  2 reasons:  I am in the LA area twice a month anyway, so I didn't drive all the way down there just for this, but I would have because I didn't want to wait until the flights, and then maybe not catch one.  I wanted to start right away, and when they fly again, I'll be out there trying to catch some and if I get none, that's ok because Andrew will and I'll buy another queen from him through the GAN!!  

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users