• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius claviger or Lasius umbratus — 1/21/18

lasius lasius claviger lasius umbratus parasitic queens parasitic ants parasitic lasius id queen ant queen id ant id queen ant id lasius id lasius queen id lasius queen

Best Answer Batspiderfish , January 22 2018 - 6:36 AM

There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding features of hybridization. It's safe to assume that she is just L. claviger.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 21 2018 - 5:30 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I am certain that this queen is either Lasius umbratus or Lasius claviger, but I need help to determine which one.

1. Location of collection: School garden/playground

2. Date of collection: Mid—Late October

3. Habitat of collection: City

4. Length: 6—7mm

5. Coloration, hue, pattern, and texture: Head, thorax, and gaster are smooth and a shiny brown. The gaster is a slightly darker shade. Mandibles, legs, and antennae are a lighter orange color. Her whole body is covered in erect hairs.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: Very noticeable antennal clubs. Head is curved where it meets the pronotum. Top of the thorax is completely flat and slopes slightly towards the petiole. Very shiny. Large mandibles.

7. Anything else distinctive: None.

8. Nest description: None.

9. Nuptial flight time and date: None.

10. Post the clearest pictures possible:

med_gallery_1963_974_17744.jpg

med_gallery_1963_974_75468.jpg

med_gallery_1963_974_99943.jpg med_gallery_1963_974_91509.jpg

med_gallery_1963_974_47431.jpg 

med_gallery_1963_974_143025.jpg

med_gallery_1963_974_31180.jpg med_gallery_1963_974_83517.jpg

med_gallery_1963_974_8632.jpg med_gallery_1963_974_26411.jpg

med_gallery_1963_974_23938.jpg med_gallery_1963_974_73037.jpg

med_gallery_1963_974_38029.jpg med_gallery_1963_974_41368.jpg

med_gallery_1963_974_92790.jpg

Edited by Mettcollsuss, January 21 2018 - 6:01 PM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 21 2018 - 5:33 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Are these publicly viewable?

• Mettcollsuss likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 21 2018 - 5:39 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Are these publicly viewable?

Fixed!

Edited by Mettcollsuss, January 21 2018 - 6:02 PM.

#4 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted January 21 2018 - 6:15 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Looks like Lasius claviger to me, but I am still a little new to this.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 21 2018 - 6:36 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Definitely from the claviger group, and most likely Lasius claviger.

The "alpha" form of Lasius latipes looks very similar; a profile view of the petiole is often helpful to differentiate those two. The petiolar scale of Lasius claviger is sharp, in profile, while that of Lasius latipes is blunt.

Oh, and btw: every post has a time-stamp. The date in the title would probably be more appropriate if it reflected the time that you found the queen(s).

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 21 2018 - 8:05 PM.

• VoidElecent and Mettcollsuss like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 22 2018 - 4:09 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

The date in the title would probably be more appropriate if it reflected the time that you found the queen(s).

Yeah, but I forgot to record the date I caught the queens on.

The "alpha" form of Lasius latipes looks very similar; a profile view of the petiole is often helpful to differentiate those two.

What do you mean by "alpha form"? And the legs aren't thick enough to be L. latipes.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, January 22 2018 - 4:27 AM.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 22 2018 - 6:00 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius latipes has dimorphic queens. "Alpha form" variants are very similar in appearance to Lasius claviger. The "beta form" queens are the ones built like tanks that you couldn't possibly mistaken for anything else (except maybe L. murphyi).

I had a hard time telling if the L. latipes queen I am raising was Lasius claviger or not.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 22 2018 - 6:04 AM.

----

#8 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 22 2018 - 6:04 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Lasius latipes has dimorphic queens. "Alpha form" variants are very similar in appearance to Lasius claviger. The "beta form" queens are the ones built like tanks that you couldn't possibly mistaken for anything else (except maybe L. murphyi).

oh. I've only ever seen the beta forms then. I don't think I've ever heard of a species that has dimorphic queens before now.

#9 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 22 2018 - 6:15 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

The petiole seems more like that of Lasius claviger, while the antennae seem more those of Lasius latipes.

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 22 2018 - 6:18 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The petiole seems more like that of Lasius claviger, while the antennae seem more those of Lasius latipes.

The petiole is the diagnostic feature, so if it's sharp, then this is definitely Lasius claviger. Most of the Acanthomyops subgenus has those thick, armored antennae.

----

#11 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 22 2018 - 6:24 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

The slanted thorax seems to be a feature of L. latipes.

In one of your threads, you stated that the Claviger group often hybridizes. Could this be a hybrid queen?

Edited by Mettcollsuss, January 22 2018 - 6:31 AM.

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 22 2018 - 6:36 AM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding features of hybridization. It's safe to assume that she is just L. claviger.

----

#13 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 22 2018 - 6:43 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Thanks. This is my first time dealing with parasitic queens, so I'm a little confused. 

I do have a problem. Now that I know what species she is, I don't have any host workers. I have a single L. flavus queen but no workers. Do you have any tips on finding host workers?

#14 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 22 2018 - 7:00 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I normally don't advocate for disturbing wild nests, but with enough patience you are sure to find a Lasius colony situated under a flat rock that would be minimally invasive to remove. Use a fine paintbrush to corral pupae and a few workers into a test tube setup, and introduce callow workers and eventually the rest of the brood to the queen as the mature workers open them up. After such a short-term stay, the wild workers can be returned to their nest.

Make sure that your queen gets periodic feedings, as this can extend her lifespan in suboptimal conditions. Don't place sugary liquid inside the test tube. Always use a tray or the dry cotton blocker.

Having said that, the only success I had with this subgenus was a naturalistic introduction where the queen was exposed to mature workers. One real aspect of hybridization is "sperm parasitism", wherein males will mate with queens of different species and sabotage their ability to produce viable reproductive offspring; I imagine that this has had an impact on the success of rearing such queens in captivity.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 22 2018 - 7:01 AM.

----

#15 Offline Zmagz - Posted January 22 2018 - 1:37 PM

Zmagz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I have a Lasius clavigar queen that looks like this one, and I've been trying to introduce it to my Lasius alienus colony (deceased queen) but I've tried many methods on introducing the parasitic queen but it never works.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, lasius claviger, lasius umbratus, parasitic queens, parasitic ants, parasitic lasius, id, queen ant, queen id, ant id, queen ant id, lasius id, lasius queen id, lasius queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users