• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen(?) Caught in San Bernardino County, Southern California (1/12/2018)

ant id southern california

Best Answer LC3 , January 12 2018 - 3:39 PM

Some sort of Hymenopteran, not an ant. Probably a bee of some sort.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MadsGH - Posted January 12 2018 - 3:18 PM

MadsGH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I'm fairly dang sure that this is a queen ant and not a drone, but I'm new to antkeeping -- I feel like I need more experienced eyes.  :)

1. Location of collection: Grand Terrace, CA -- In my pool, about 2 days after a rain
2. Date of collection: Jan 12, 2018
3. Habitat of collection: "Oasis" suburban area, lots of greenery that's surrounded by sandy ground with very little water
4. Length: Roughly 5 to 7mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black with green/bronze metallic sheen, legs appear to be covered in a pale fuzz
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Thin, smooth mandibles, eyes appear to wrap around the side of the head
7. Distinguishing behavior: Appears energetic after being dried off. Quickly became aggravated when test tube was handled for pictures -- testing limits of test tube, pushing upper body and "gnawing" into the folds of the paper towel plugging the tube
8. Nest description: N/A

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Exact time unknown, Possibly early afternoon Jan 12

Sorry for the quality of the photos, if more are necessary I'll try to get better lighting/angles (she really didn't want to cooperate with me)

Edited by MadsGH, January 12 2018 - 3:25 PM.

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted January 12 2018 - 3:39 PM   Best Answer

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Some sort of Hymenopteran, not an ant. Probably a bee of some sort.

#3 Offline MadsGH - Posted January 12 2018 - 4:05 PM

MadsGH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

That would explain the long eyes, then. Probably for flight? I didn't realize we got these sorts of bees/wasps. Thanks!

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted January 12 2018 - 4:43 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I agree that this is, in fact, a bee.

Thank you though for the beautifully formatted post! :)

• MadsGH likes this

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 12 2018 - 6:44 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Bee, genus Dialictus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant id, southern california

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users