• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dirt Shack Clones

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted December 19 2017 - 5:29 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

(Update 12/19/17)

IMG 0259
IMG 0258
IMG 0257
IMG 0256
IMG 0255
IMG 0254

I'm currently working on my new project. I've decided to recreate the drew dirt box. I used the size he used using the instructions he gave on his research and design. The boxes were way smaller than I thought, so as you may see in the pictures, I've bought bigger boxes to make a bigger version. I think they'll be the same size when they're done as drew's Pogonomyrmex formicariums I think. I plan to stick my C. fragilis in one of these. The first box, also the testing box, is almost done. It will house my Dorymyrmex insanus. All it needs is hydrostone, which I'm nervous about. I've never used hydrostone before. I will have this finished before the end of the week though.

Edited by AntsCalifornia, December 19 2017 - 5:42 PM.

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 19 2017 - 5:44 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I actually made a similar formicarium once, without even knowing Drew's existed.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted January 20 2018 - 9:18 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I made my first prototype for my C. fragilis. Here are some pictures. 

IMG 0029
IMG 0028
IMG 0026

#4 Offline Antking117 - Posted January 20 2018 - 9:28 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Photos are upside down, you can go into the gallery to rotate them :) Cool looking though.

#5 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted February 14 2018 - 9:01 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Turns out the inner chamber was to close to the wall, I watched as the queen tried and failed to jam her enormous body in but with no luck. I decided the best solution was to 3d print the inner and give about an inch of space. I'm also going to 3d print a lid that will have better hold of the tube and won't crack as the tubes are bursting the ceiling creating cracks going across the entire roof. After all this is done I'll put a smaller species in this one, probably a Solenopsis colony I've been wanting to give a formicarium.

Here's some pictures of the 3d plans, inputs would be appreciated as this is my first attempt at 3d printing.

Screenshot 2018 02 14 At 10.09.35 PM
Screenshot 2018 02 14 At 9.47.17 PM

Edited by AntsCalifornia, February 14 2018 - 10:19 PM.

#6 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 14 2018 - 9:47 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

This is really cool man

#7 Offline Derpy - Posted February 15 2018 - 3:22 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
I like it, tell us how the project goes.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#8 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted May 7 2018 - 3:08 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

So I currently only have access to a printer in my school club. The printer I'm going to print it on got finished recently. I'm currently changing the design to make it more functional. Hopefully the prototype will be finished by this week and I can get it printed. If all goes well I will probably try to print a couple before summer break.

Edit: Here's the design for the large one's lid, but I have more materials for the small ones, so I'm working on those next.

Screenshot 2018 05 07 At 4.57.46 PM
Screenshot 2018 05 07 At 4.58.26 PM

Edited by AntsCalifornia, May 15 2018 - 5:09 PM.

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 7 2018 - 4:32 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

More functional? How?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#10 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted May 7 2018 - 6:34 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

More functional? How?

This new design has more ventilation. Also it extends the place where the tubes insert on the side to reduce bending of the vinyl tubing. It also combines both the vinyl tubing ports on the lid so I only have to remove one plug instead of unplugging two when re hydrating. Also my size scales were a little off and I decided to finally fix it since I only have one test print before the finished product.

Edit: I realized I never said what colony ended up in the last formicarium I made, and if anyone is interested, it was my S. xyloni. Here's a picture of them inside.

IMG 0295

Edited by AntsCalifornia, May 7 2018 - 6:39 PM.

#11 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted May 10 2018 - 4:09 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Created the design for the small ones. It's too bad I finished right now, school is almost over, which means an end to 3d printing privileges.  :(  Was going to print it today, but some weird thing is going on with makerbot because some company bought it and screwed up the software and all the makerbot printers in the world are not working right now. Hopefully I'll get at least one print before summer break, but after that I have to wait until school starts again.

Screenshot 2018 05 09 At 7.24.14 PM
Screenshot 2018 05 09 At 7.22.17 PM

Edited by AntsCalifornia, May 10 2018 - 4:15 PM.

#12 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted May 15 2018 - 4:37 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

The parts are being printed and I will put the 3d printed one together probably next week when school gets out and I don't have to worry about finals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users