• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need Help Finding Termites

termites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 27 2017 - 4:36 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I live in Southeastern Wisconsin, close to Milwaukee and I've never seen a termite, despite hours and hours of searching for only them, and lots more hours searching for many other things in the forest and under logs. Does anyone have good tips on finding them? I'll be able to search again in the spring.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted November 27 2017 - 4:42 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I recall seeing termites a few years back. But I too haven't seen them in a few years at least.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 27 2017 - 6:07 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
What kind of termites?

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 14 2017 - 9:40 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Try searching in a VERY damp and lush environment, with frequent disturbance. Most termite species will enjoy the decaying plant matter. Then try finding a tree (still standing) that is dead and has some fungal growth. If it is small enough, snap a few branches off and look for tubes. If the tree is large, use a small knife to cut away a bit of rotting wood. This worked for me in Hawaii and CT, but I'm not sure about Wisconsin.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#5 Offline MarilynDunlap - Posted May 3 2018 - 9:16 PM

MarilynDunlap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What types of termites you are searching for? Subterranean termites, Dampwood termites, Drywood termites or Formosan termites? There are approximately 50 termite species in the United States, but only a few species of subterranean termites and drywood termites are available.

Generally most of the termite species are found in CA or in NY area. Well, a termite control in East Bay or in other area near you (you may go for a professional at Wisconsin) may help you find the termite as they are good at controlling them and I think they might be also knowing how they can be grown.

Edited by MarilynDunlap, May 4 2018 - 4:56 AM.

#6 Offline Major - Posted June 29 2018 - 8:28 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
I live in NY and I’ve never ever seen a single termite. I’ve tore open many logs while looking for some Camponotus, I thought that there should be some termites there to but nope. I kinda want a colony, but can’t even find a worker.

#7 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 12 2018 - 9:14 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Look for a log with termite frass on them, it looks like fine grains of soil. Then, hack every square inch of it open. You are bound to find something.
  • ITrapPlants likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#8 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted July 12 2018 - 10:14 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I am waiting to see if the two I caught have eggs. I haven't seen any, but I left a fairly large chunk of the rotting wood I found them on with them, so they might be hidden. Pretty sure I caught a king and queen since they were tandem running, but part of me thinks they might have both just been running away from the giant that ripped open their hide and they were both fleeing in the same direction. lol.
34102813_1809877309055124_74215491693130

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: termites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users