• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Connectimyrmex's Reticulitermes flavipes journal

reticulitermes flavipes termites termite thanks ctantkeeper

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 27 2017 - 3:33 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hi!

I recently met up with a friend of mine on this forum (ctantkeeper, he's a great guy). During this meet up, I traded a Bombus impatiens queen for a cute little Reticulitermes colony (three reproductives and nine workers). There seems to be two queens and one male. Most of the workers are at their final molt, with only two showing any age difference. Interestingly, I spotted the classic termite ball fungus growing in the corner of their tube (where the eggs probably were). It's kind of cool to see this harmless little fungus growing in captivity.

I'll do my best to keep this journal updated. Subterranean termites are by far my favorite termites (in fact, my first termites ever were Coptotermes gestroi and Coptotermes formosanus). I hope that I can keep this colony alive.

I'll make sure to post pictures when I get the chance!

Edited by Connectimyrmex, November 27 2017 - 3:34 PM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 2 2017 - 2:47 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

After doing some research, I decided against putting my termites in the sunroom for hibernation. My sunroom has been only a few degrees above freezing, with chances of going even further below. All of my ants and wasps are hibernating there. Apparently, termites don't really hibernate, and often maintain warm temperatures in the nest. I'll probably put them into by garage or basement.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 2 2017 - 4:12 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there isn't any termite species that hibernates like ants do. I never read of a termite species that hibernates or anything like that at all about termites. I know even way up north in the snow I've found colonies of termites that are active inside wood. Its probably just isn't a thing they do. So, that is probably a good idea to avoid "hibernating" them as that probably more likely kill them than anything else. 

Granted with that said...there is a semi-hibernation period for certain termites. Drywood termites will "hibernate" for about a year before laying eggs and then finally lay eggs. But as far as I know, that only happens during the initial founding stages.

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 2 2017 - 6:50 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Sounds like my termites are on an "egg hibernation" streak as well. I got them without eggs, and they've refused to lay. Seems like the queens are getting ready to lay again (I think there are two, maybe even all three are queens, cuz parthenogenesis).

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 7 2017 - 9:37 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

One of the termite reproductives was mating with another one of the reproductives this morning, so I know that there is at least one king and one queen.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#6 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted December 7 2017 - 11:32 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Hi!

I recently met up with a friend of mine on this forum (ctantkeeper, he's a great guy). During this meet up, I traded a Bombus impatiens queen for a cute little Reticulitermes colony (three reproductives and nine workers). There seems to be two queens and one male. Most of the workers are at their final molt, with only two showing any age difference. Interestingly, I spotted the classic termite ball fungus growing in the corner of their tube (where the eggs probably were). It's kind of cool to see this harmless little fungus growing in captivity.

I'll do my best to keep this journal updated. Subterranean termites are by far my favorite termites (in fact, my first termites ever were Coptotermes gestroi and Coptotermes formosanus). I hope that I can keep this colony alive.

I'll make sure to post pictures when I get the chance!

I actually haven't seen this thread until now. 

Aww, thanks :) :) :). It was awesome meeting you too. We should totally get together some more when it gets warmer. I know of some amazing hiking spots. Glad to hear that the termites are doing well. I saw you post about the mating event (I'm 90% sure that the colony has two queens and one king in total). As for the fungus though, I would be a bit weary of that. I don't recall there being any mold when I gave it to you. Remember, these are not a fungus-farming species of termite. I would remove the mold if I were in your position.

All of my R. flavipes colonies have taken a break from egg laying as well. They should resume in early-mid spring.

• Connectimyrmex likes this

#7 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 7 2017 - 12:02 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I'd love to meet with you again! 

The fungus is called "termite balls" and is a harmless species of egg-mimicking fungus. The workers love to carry them around. My wild "semi-colony" has termite balls as well. They mimic the smell and shape of termite eggs.

• ctantkeeper likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#8 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted December 7 2017 - 5:17 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I'd love to meet with you again! 

The fungus is called "termite balls" and is a harmless species of egg-mimicking fungus. The workers love to carry them around. My wild "semi-colony" has termite balls as well. They mimic the smell and shape of termite eggs.

Oh, cool. I've heard of those before, but have unfortunately never seen them in person :(

#9 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 8 2017 - 5:43 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I can give you some in the future :)

They're not doing too well, probably due to lack of eggs (eggs strengthen the fungus's likelihood of thriving). There might be more when they resume!

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#10 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted December 9 2017 - 3:13 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland

Man, those are some nice looking termites! Do you know when termite alates fly and how to identify them? I see lots of clusters of what I think are termite dealates(does this term also work for termites? :thinking:). They were all glossy black and I found them at a beach whenever I turned over a piece of wood or log. 

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#11 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 19 2017 - 9:41 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

They fly during the spring, and they look like skinny, tiny cockroaches with VERY LONG, glossy wings. They're impossible to miss in untreated areas.

Seems like your dealate species is R. flavipes. They are tiny and black, even smaller than Cryptotermes dealates and the soldiers of their own species. I'd ask CTantkeeper for some more info, he collected the termite colony that I have.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#12 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 9 2018 - 2:35 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Here's an update!

Sadly, the original colony died from a mold/fungus outbreak. However, I did manage to collect a large amount of workers and alates. I managed to successfully pair the termite alates, and I made a small colony with one pair, some workers and soldiers, some termite eggs, and one nymph. So far, they are doing great!

• Nare likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#13 Offline Nare - Posted December 13 2018 - 4:46 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Here's an update!

Sadly, the original colony died from a mold/fungus outbreak. However, I did manage to collect a large amount of workers and alates. I managed to successfully pair the termite alates, and I made a small colony with one pair, some workers and soldiers, some termite eggs, and one nymph. So far, they are doing great!

Might as well ask, what ended up happening to these? As well, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you?

#14 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 29 2018 - 3:12 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Do some subterranean species fly in Autumn, after rainstorms?  I say this because I went camping (in Santa Barbara California) and it rained, and there were literally hundreds of mating pairs everywhere!  I don't know if west coast species fly at a different time than east coast ones, because I always seem to see them here (Orange County) around late Summer or Fall.  I do not know much about termites so, naturally, I am very curious.

Edited by NickAnter, December 29 2018 - 3:13 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#15 Offline Nare - Posted December 31 2018 - 1:19 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Do some subterranean species fly in Autumn, after rainstorms?  I say this because I went camping (in Santa Barbara California) and it rained, and there were literally hundreds of mating pairs everywhere!  I don't know if west coast species fly at a different time than east coast ones, because I always seem to see them here (Orange County) around late Summer or Fall.  I do not know much about termites so, naturally, I am very curious.

Yeah, I've heard reports of western termite species flying in late summer / early autumn, but that's dampwoods, some drywoods, and subterraneans. I'd have to learn more about termites in the west, though lc3 would probably know.

#16 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 10 2019 - 8:37 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Here's an update!

Might as well ask, what ended up happening to these? As well, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you?

They ended up dying, sadly :(
They chewed through a portion of their plastic setup, which dried them up and killed them.

Some species do, but Reticulitermes flavipes normally flies only once a year.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reticulitermes, flavipes, termites, termite, thanks ctantkeeper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users