• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Suggestion: Tag system

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Should we add a "Tag" system (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we add a "Tag" system

1. No, it's not necessary and it's fine the way it is. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Yes, this would be a good addition. (12 votes [92.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 92.31%

3. No, kiddies would bother the crap out of me with it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Eitherway is fine. (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted November 10 2017 - 11:34 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

So, I come on here quite frequently and post a few times a day. Then I may not come on for a few days and I have 20 notifications. Generally it's just someone replying to a thread I commented on so I will generally just skip it if I am real busy. However a few weeks later just randomly scrolling through an older topic, I see that someone quoted or replied to something I said. Do you reply? No, because that was a month ago. However if we had a tag system that notified you someone "mentioned" you in a topic, I would be able to see it and reply. This is actually the only forum out of 10 I am a member of that doesn't have the tag system.

For any of you who may not know what the tag system is, it's where you can "tag" someone in a topic by using the @ (at sign). So if someone went, "hello @T.C." It would notify me someone was talking about me or wants my attention on a topic/thread/post they responded to.

Edited by T.C., November 10 2017 - 11:38 AM.

• dermy and Penguin like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted November 10 2017 - 12:44 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

So, I come on here quite frequently and post a few times a day. Then I may not come on for a few days and I have 20 notifications. Generally it's just someone replying to a thread I commented on so I will generally just skip it if I am real busy. However a few weeks later just randomly scrolling through an older topic, I see that someone quoted or replied to something I said. Do you reply? No, because that was a month ago. However if we had a tag system that notified you someone "mentioned" you in a topic, I would be able to see it and reply. This is actually the only forum out of 10 I am a member of that doesn't have the tag system.

For any of you who may not know what the tag system is, it's where you can "tag" someone in a topic by using the @ (at sign). So if someone went, "hello @T.C." It would notify me someone was talking about me or wants my attention on a topic/thread/post they responded to.

You're a member of 10 forums? This is the only forum I'm a member of!

I agree with you, though. A tag or "mention" system, like in Discord (or other forums), would definitely help. But, I know Drew is a busy man and I don't want to put any more pressure on him.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted November 10 2017 - 12:56 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

You're a member of 10 forums? This is the only forum I'm a member of!

I agree with you, though. A tag or "mention" system, like in Discord (or other forums), would definitely help. But, I know Drew is a busy man and I don't want to put any more pressure on him.
I'm active on 3. The other ones I will occasionally show my face. And three of those 10 forums use the same software as this one. They all use the tag system

Edited by T.C., November 10 2017 - 2:22 PM.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted November 12 2017 - 9:41 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
All + votes. Keep going, the more votes, the better the possibility I can convince drew to do this. Maybe he will give me access to the ACP so I can do it? :P

#thepeoplehavespoken
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted November 15 2017 - 7:23 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

All + votes. Keep going, the more votes, the better the possibility I can convince drew to do this. Maybe he will give me access to the ACP so I can do it? :P

#thepeoplehavespoken

He's a mod for a reason, right...?  :thinking:

• Spamdy likes this

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted November 17 2017 - 11:56 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

#thepeoplehavespoken

He's a mod for a reason, right...?  :thinking:

Mods don't have access to the ACP.

#7 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted November 17 2017 - 12:28 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Sorry to bust your bubble.... unless you are going to code it or purchase it, not going to happen. This forum software cost money + any upgrades/features cost money also. Not sure the reasoning to use these boards over more conventional free and easily modded forum software but not my place to poke.

Here is more info: https://invisioncomm...buy/self-hosted

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted November 17 2017 - 1:00 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I like the software, but yeah. The fact you have to pay for the extra's is BS for sure. Their support I hear is terrible too. You have to pay for that as well. A "support ticket" as they call it.

#9 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted November 17 2017 - 3:30 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

I like the software, but yeah. The fact you have to pay for the extra's is BS for sure. Their support I hear is terrible too. You have to pay for that as well. A "support ticket" as they call it.

That's pretty terrible. My only guess was he was given this software for free, I'm sure there are many, many, "converters" to move from ipboards to any other php forum software with same or more features. However, I'm not sure if they is even being considered.

Edited by StopSpazzing, November 17 2017 - 3:35 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted November 17 2017 - 3:42 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Not sure of the history on his choosings. I know it wasn't just him. It was BigB as well who decided to use the software. But I doubt drew would move. To my knowledge he likes it as is. The new updated invision software I like better, but I don't mind eitherway. I just thought a tag system would be a nice feature.

Edited by T.C., November 17 2017 - 3:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users