• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphids for Ants

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants Galore - Posted November 9 2017 - 9:42 AM

Ants Galore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I'm thinking about getting aphids(If that's even possible because I know it's a crazy Idea) IF I decide to make a naturalistic nest for my Pseudomyrmex gracilis colony. Just some problems: Is it possible to keep replacing the plants after they die? How do ants do it in the wild? Just let the plant die and move to a new nest? How would you control the aphid population? Will my the workers of my colony eat some? Where do you get cheap aphids for 10$ or less? Is this the craziest idea you've ever heard? Please answer all my questions and be sure to mention if I'm just getting crazy ideas. Thanks- Ants Galore

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 9 2017 - 1:34 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

This is normal, I do this all the time with mature colonies. Collect winged individuals from colonies with hopes that the species is parthenogenetic. Put the winged individual on the species host plant and see if it produces nymphs. If the population gets too large, release the established colony (after harvesting a new winged individual from the plant)

Aphids are illegal to ship because of plant pest regulations..

Ants sometimes snack on aphids.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted November 13 2017 - 6:10 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
In my humble experience with indoor potted plants, having aphids is a frustrating nightmare! They breed like E. Coli and practically cover their host plant. I fought with them daily for weeks until eventually discarding the plants in defeat. Even plant soap couldn't remove them completely. I'm concerned for your sake that either the ants will eat them all, or they'll protect them and their population will grow unchecked. Best of luck!
~Dan

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 14 2017 - 11:42 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

In my humble experience with indoor potted plants, having aphids is a frustrating nightmare! They breed like E. Coli and practically cover their host plant. I fought with them daily for weeks until eventually discarding the plants in defeat. Even plant soap couldn't remove them completely. I'm concerned for your sake that either the ants will eat them all, or they'll protect them and their population will grow unchecked. Best of luck!

That's why I discard the colony when it gets too large. I just take one alate.

• Works4TheGood likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#5 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted November 14 2017 - 8:05 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

You can feed the aphids to small critters, too.  they actually make really good spiderling food, packed with sugar and gut-loaded with plain juices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users