• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius niger hibernation

lasius niger hibernation lasius temperature refrigerator hibernating

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Rubenvis24 - Posted October 30 2017 - 1:17 PM

Rubenvis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

I know I'm a little late with putting my ants in hibernation, but this is my first year of ant keeping and hibernation was the only thing I wasn't prepared for.

How cold can I let my L. niger colony hibernate? And do I have to lower the temperature gradually? They're at about 19 degrees Celsius (66 degrees Fahrenheit) right now and I plan to stick them in the fridge at around 10 °C (50 °F). Will that give them a huge temperature shock or will they be alright? The colony has around 20 workers and a queen (obviously).

Edited by Rubenvis24, October 31 2017 - 1:35 AM.

#2 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted October 30 2017 - 2:04 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
Depends, if it's just the queen then just throw it in the fridge.

Edited by Chicken_eater100, October 30 2017 - 2:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius niger, hibernation, lasius, temperature, refrigerator, hibernating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users