• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Large Yellow Worker IDs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KalenH - Posted October 12 2017 - 10:54 AM

KalenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Alabama

Hi all, 

I'm wanting to earn my first correct ID. Finally found something that I know isn't S invictus. They're big so I guessed they're camponotus. The only camponotus I see with this color pattern is: http://www.antwiki.o...notus_castaneus

Did I get it right?

1. Location (on a map) of collection: South Atlanta, Georgia
2. Date of collection: Seen on 10/12/17
3. Habitat of collection: Parking lot island,  near 10 foot grass barrier and then forest. 
4. Length (from head to gaster): I'm not good at guessing this, the pictures have pinestraw for size reference. 
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Yellow, slightly translucent, solid in color.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Large, uniform in size, appears bright yellow in the sun. 
7. Distinguishing behavior: Very fast and erratic movement. They appeared to be moving individually any not communicating. I put my foot on the edge of the pavement while i was spectating them and when i lift my foot the they had accumulated under my shoe and scattered with the light. 

9. Nuptial flight time and date: N/A, this is an established colony. I would guess that there were approximately 40-70 workers visible. 

[Images of ant]

https://imgur.com/a/Jm5Ze

https://imgur.com/a/Z76Ui

[Images of nest]

I think they live in this rotted root system. I see thin caked dirt walls filling the grabs vertically between the elevated roots and the dirt.
https://imgur.com/a/IyYAW

Solenopsis Invicta x Richtera - Queen, 20 workers. 

Pheidole Bicarinata - Queen, 5 workers.
Formica Palledefulva - Queen with eggs.

Pseudomyrmex Pallidus - Queen, No Eggs.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted October 12 2017 - 11:28 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
MAYBE Formica sp. ?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted October 12 2017 - 11:37 AM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Looks like Camponotus castaneus.

• Salmon, ultraex2 and ColKurtz like this

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 12 2017 - 8:43 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Yup, I'm 90% sure that they are Camponotus castaneus.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 13 2017 - 10:54 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Difficult to tell with the photographs from one angle and zero measurements, but it looks more like a Formica sp. from the pallidefulva group to me.

• MrILoveTheAnts and gcsnelling like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 13 2017 - 11:47 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Looks more like F. pallidefulva to me too. C.castaneus nests are usually not that conspicuous either.

#7 Offline KalenH - Posted October 13 2017 - 1:51 PM

KalenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Okay, so I need to go back and catch a side profile and look at the thorax shape like this link describes? 

http://www.myrmecos....and-camponotus/

Looking at the top down i'm expecting to get be formica when I go back to look.

#8 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted October 13 2017 - 4:50 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Difficult to tell with the photographs from one angle and zero measurements, but it looks more like a Formica sp. from the pallidefulva group to me.

Oh shoot you're right. I missed the two arched mesososma. If it's not Formica pallidefulva itself then it could be Formica biophilica.

#9 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 13 2017 - 4:51 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Oh yeah, I didn't see the double camel humps. The angle was tricky. She's formica.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted October 13 2017 - 6:36 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Oh shoot you're right. I missed the two arched mesososma. If it's not Formica pallidefulva itself then it could be Formica biophilica.
Haha, when you said camponotous after i said formica, I was so confused. Certainly wasn't going to argue ID's with you. :)

Edited by T.C., October 13 2017 - 6:37 PM.

#11 Offline KalenH - Posted October 13 2017 - 9:30 PM

KalenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Haha, when you said camponotous after i said formica, I was so confused. Certainly wasn't going to argue ID's with you. :)

Reading through the ID threads, I wish that people would throw in an additional sentence to explain why they provide the answers they do. I'd love to know what the obvious differential traits are that people default to. 

#12 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 14 2017 - 6:19 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Reading through the ID threads, I wish that people would throw in an additional sentence to explain why they provide the answers they do. I'd love to know what the obvious differential traits are that people default to. 

I identify Camponotus by the head shape and the single camel hump. When I looked at the above photo, I thought it was a single hump.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#13 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted October 14 2017 - 6:46 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Argue away. Batspiderfish tends to better at identifications than me.

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted October 14 2017 - 6:52 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Argue away. Batspiderfish tends to better at identifications than me.
Haha, well me and your experience levels are quite distant. And with experience comes knowledge.

Eh, even the pro's make mistakes.

Edited by T.C., October 14 2017 - 6:53 PM.

#15 Offline LC3 - Posted October 14 2017 - 8:54 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Here's a quick summary with Camponotus and Formica.

Formica typically have a triangular head while Camponotus has a heart shaped head for majors, and an oval head for minor workers, the head width usually is the same width as the mesosoma or wider. Eye placement differs with Formica having eyes near the corner/more back of the head while 

Camponotus have smaller and more centered eyes. On their mesosoma Formica have two nodes, like many other ants. Camponotini (Includes Camponotus, Polyrhachis, Colobopsis, Dinomyrmex, maybesomemoregenresimnotawareof) on the other hand have a smooth convex/arched mesosoma.

The gaster of Camponotus queens are an elongated oval shape while Formica have a rounded pointier gaster (typical to that of other Formacines). The gasters of Camponotus workers also tend to be smaller in ratio to body size compared to Formica.

Formica are also well known for their highly erratic movement, darting and stopping for extended periods of time. Also chances are if you find a mound made out of thatched pine needles, small twigs and grass it's a Formica mound.

Edited by LC3, October 14 2017 - 8:57 PM.

• KalenH likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users