• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Suit...?

ants suit art installation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline carlnicolaisen - Posted October 12 2017 - 10:32 AM

carlnicolaisen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey guys... posting for the first time on this lovely forum. Currently involved in an art project at can serrat outside of Barcelona. Hopefully you guys are open to what I am about to propose. The plan is to find a way to repel and attract ants at the same time. To hopefully attract them enough to let them crawl all over me, but repel them enough to not bite me to death. Any ideas about this? Maybe some easy to get materials from nature? flowers or how to get pheromones? or i don't know something i can buy somewhere..

appreciate the cnc :)

#2 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted October 12 2017 - 10:45 AM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
It depends, which species are you gonna use? Try to find an ant colony that doesn't sting, all ants bite so you can't really do anything about that and douse yourself in honey or sugar water.

#3 Offline carlnicolaisen - Posted October 13 2017 - 1:34 AM

carlnicolaisen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

i don't know....? probably ants that are living in a tree. how can i tell if it doesn't sting?

#4 Offline Efly15 - Posted October 13 2017 - 3:00 AM

Efly15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTX

If you send us pictures, specimen and length (use the guidelines) we can identify it for you and then we will know if the species stings or sprays formic acid.

#5 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted October 13 2017 - 12:45 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

There is deer sprays out there that remove your pheromones so you can hunt them without them smelling you, I would probably try this route; I don't think you can attract them without being food or enemy or having their queen pheromones.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users