• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis invicta Purification Campaign 2018

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KalenH - Posted October 12 2017 - 9:33 AM

KalenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Alabama

I live in the center of the solenopsis invictus plague. Nearly all homes have a bag of ant poison in the garage. Both my father and grandfather have been poisoning invictus beds for the entirety of my life.

I'm now interested in ants, excluding invictus. I've been disappointed in my inability to find non-invictus around my home and around my work. I know that my family will be poisoning invictus beds in the future but i would think that the poison is more of a nuclear strike with fallout that would harm non-invictus ants. What is the known efficient way to target individual invictus colonies while keeping the area inhabitable by other species?

If so I may take to addressing the invictus colonies before my family nukes their yards. 

Thanks,

Kalen

Solenopsis Invicta x Richtera - Queen, 20 workers. 

Pheidole Bicarinata - Queen, 5 workers.
Formica Palledefulva - Queen with eggs.

Pseudomyrmex Pallidus - Queen, No Eggs.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 12 2017 - 11:40 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
If you eradicate Solenopsis invicta from your property, you're sending an open invitation to species like Linepithema humile, Argentine ants, to step in. Where S. invicta stays mostly outdoors in a mound, supercolonies of Argentine ants will invade cars, indoors, in open areas outside, on, in, and around trees, and literally anywhere they can find food, shelter, and moisture, and compete even more ruthlessly against other ant species than S. invicta. Argentine ants will send an army inside your home to kill all your ants if a scout discovers your formicarium. Fire ants don't do this.

If you live in a disturbed habitat, there's little chance you as an individual can have to increase the diversity of ant fauna on and around your property. But if you use baits and poisons, you will most undoubtedly decrease it.
  • dermy likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline KalenH - Posted October 12 2017 - 12:05 PM

KalenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Alabama

From bad to worse for the southern states then. Is Linepithema humile trending to out compete invictus where the two species are in contact?

Nevermind. I found this document on the subject:

https://pdfs.semanti...c22f31a4a37.pdf

Edited by KalenH, October 12 2017 - 12:16 PM.

Solenopsis Invicta x Richtera - Queen, 20 workers. 

Pheidole Bicarinata - Queen, 5 workers.
Formica Palledefulva - Queen with eggs.

Pseudomyrmex Pallidus - Queen, No Eggs.

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 12 2017 - 12:20 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Solenopsis invicta and Linepithema humile probably will both probably remain at their current invasive state. The only positive method of control might be the native ants like Prenolepis (these ants are active over the winter and dormant in the summer, and they are sometimes known to wipe out invasive ants in their "sleep").

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 12 2017 - 2:13 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Solenopsis invicta and Linepithema humile probably will both probably remain at their current invasive state. The only positive method of control might be the native ants like Prenolepis (these ants are active over the winter and dormant in the summer, and they are sometimes known to wipe out invasive ants in their "sleep").

This is probably the "best" strategy. However, in areas heavily infested with (Argentine ants) it doesn't work as well.

However I introduced Monomorium ergatogyna (pretty much exactly same as Monomorium minimum, the Little Black Ant on the east coast) into the apartment complex and they completely removed Argentine ants out of many areas. They are native, pretty tiny and do really well at removing invasive ants from locations. Their colonies get pretty huge. In areas heavily infested with Argentine ants, they do lower their numbers but probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you watched the Argentine ant population from the beginning. 

There were also Monomorium ergatogyna in the last place I lived in, that were already there. They actually went in and invaded smaller Argentine ant colonies and dominated an entire hillside and controlled the whole "block". They even killed a lot of Solenopsis invicta that was on the hillside too, but I never saw them attack an actual nest, just workers.

I'm sure there must be more than just M. ergatogyna and Prenolepis that can drive out invasive ants or lower their populations. But, its probably kinda rare for an ant to be able to do that...that is also native.

#6 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 12 2017 - 5:28 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

This is probably the "best" strategy. However, in areas heavily infested with (Argentine ants) it doesn't work as well.

However I introduced Monomorium ergatogyna (pretty much exactly same as Monomorium minimum, the Little Black Ant on the east coast) into the apartment complex and they completely removed Argentine ants out of many areas. They are native, pretty tiny and do really well at removing invasive ants from locations. Their colonies get pretty huge. In areas heavily infested with Argentine ants, they do lower their numbers but probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you watched the Argentine ant population from the beginning. 

There were also Monomorium ergatogyna in the last place I lived in, that were already there. They actually went in and invaded smaller Argentine ant colonies and dominated an entire hillside and controlled the whole "block". They even killed a lot of Solenopsis invicta that was on the hillside too, but I never saw them attack an actual nest, just workers.

I'm sure there must be more than just M. ergatogyna and Prenolepis that can drive out invasive ants or lower their populations. But, its probably kinda rare for an ant to be able to do that...that is also native.

There are many more. For example, Solenopsis (xyloni and molesta), Forelius, Nylanderia, and Tapinoma are pretty good at driving out invasive species, because they employ many strange and effective tactics.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#7 Offline Scrixx - Posted October 12 2017 - 11:42 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Curious about this. How were you able to introduce a colony where invasive species are already established? I imagine the colony you introduced would've just been killed off pretty quickly before they could get a foothold.

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#8 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 13 2017 - 4:58 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Curious about this. How were you able to introduce a colony where invasive species are already established? I imagine the colony you introduced would've just been killed off pretty quickly before they could get a foothold.

For the people that have one of those mega-colonies that they raised for years.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#9 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 13 2017 - 8:36 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

For the people that have one of those mega-colonies that they raised for years.

I actually didn't raise them at all (the Monomorium ergatogyna). I just put them in an area that had very little Argentine ants, and they flourished. I found them by a motel and moved some of them. I don't have much interest keeping Monomorium since they are too good at escaping.

I did dig a small hole and then covered them up. So the Argentine ants had no way to get them. Monomorium ergatogyna are tiny enough that once they dug out, the Argentine ants have no way to get inside the colony. They are a pretty tiny ant. They are tiny and make massive sized colonies. Now they are scattered all around the complex and have areas where Argentine ants are driven out by them. Though I've never seen any down in the river bed, probably just too many Argentine ants (literally billions) down there even for a tiny sized ant to survive.

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted October 14 2017 - 2:30 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

There are many more. For example, Solenopsis (xyloni and molesta), Forelius, Nylanderia, and Tapinoma are pretty good at driving out invasive species, because they employ many strange and effective tactics.

Many of these genuses have their own invasives though, like Nylanderia fulva (Raspberry crazy ant) which is currently wreaking havoc in Florida (they can easily outcompete Solenopsis invicta) and Tampinoma melanocephalum (the invasive Ghost ants).

Edited by Serafine, October 14 2017 - 2:31 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 14 2017 - 6:17 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Many of these genuses have their own invasives though, like Nylanderia fulva (Raspberry crazy ant) which is currently wreaking havoc in Florida (they can easily outcompete Solenopsis invicta) and Tampinoma melanocephalum (the invasive Ghost ants).

i'm talking about the native ones. Why would I be talking about the invasives?
The Nylanderia referred to the smaller, native species that often are found under rocks. The Tapinoma refers to Tapinoma sessile and its temporary parasite. 

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#12 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 16 2017 - 5:44 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Monomorium in my idea would be a good choice(except for M. Pharoanis) since they are small and grow massive colonies. Their size lets them attack other ants in numbers and easily retreat. Tapinoma sessile may work, and Nylanderia would also work die to their formic acid spray. S. Molesta could also work since they steal the brood of other ants, which would mean that they could steal almost al of the brood of solenopsis invicta.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#13 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted October 17 2017 - 5:02 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Maybe focusing on social parasites of invasives might help. Raising a bunch of social associated social parasite colonies might reduce the numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users