• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

moats and queens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rivkah - Posted September 13 2017 - 6:17 AM

rivkah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationmonroeville, pa

I am new to ant keeping and have what might be silly questions.

Since queens born in a formicarium do not take nuptial flights, what happens to them?  Do they mate with a male in the formicarium and should then be removed to begin her own colonies?  Or does the colony kill her?  I do understand that there are ant colonies with multiple queens.  I am asking about single queen colonies.

Also, a saw a youtube video showing a large ashtray nicely decorated as an ant world, complete with a walnut ant nest housing a themothorax sp.  This was siting in what appeared to be a bowl of water.  Can a moat be used to contain ants?  I understand that there could be a drowning danger, but, generally ants are smart enough not to cross water.

Thank you in advance for your kind attention to my inquiry.

#2 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 13 2017 - 6:52 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

The ants do nothing 95% of the time, depending on the species.  Sometimes they will just stay in the nest and wander in/out and other times they will remove their wings and act like workers.  I've also observed my (at least I'm pretty sure) parasitic Aphaenogaster colony caught from the wild kill the alate queens after a couple months in the nest.

A moat would probably work , although it depends on the species - for example, fire ants may be able to cross water as well as some other tropical species.

Edited by ultraex2, September 13 2017 - 6:53 AM.

#3 Offline rivkah - Posted September 14 2017 - 5:13 AM

rivkah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationmonroeville, pa

thank you for your response.  

When the time comes, I well experiment with a moat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users