• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

When to start parasite Lasius?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CNewton - Posted September 13 2017 - 4:35 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

Wiki says parasitic Lasius hibernate before seeking out a colony to take over. Is this necessary in captivity or can I attempt to begin a colony as soon as I find the queen?

#2 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 13 2017 - 6:42 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I managed to get one parasitic Lasius to lay eggs and it was in May well after hibernation.  I didn't keep it in cold temperatures over winter but when I tried before spring they did not lay any eggs at all.

#3 Offline MaxGen - Posted September 13 2017 - 6:52 AM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

I caught several Lasius neoniger and Lasius claviger this week.

Here's my plan...

Everything is going into the fridge this weekend.  In late January, I will remove 2 tubes of Lasius neoniger.  I'll let them lay and care for the brood until they have pupae.  Then I will remove two Lasius claviger from the fridge.  I'll remove the Lasius neoniger from their tubes leaving the brood and add the Lasius clavigers.

If all goes well, the pupae will eclose shortly after and adopt the queen...

Removing the neoniger from their tubes will be the tricky.  i expect they will resist.

• CNewton likes this

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 13 2017 - 8:17 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

This thread has a lot of information about this topic.

Edited by VoidElecent, September 13 2017 - 8:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users