• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Accidently poured honey

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline megaxoplasma - Posted September 12 2017 - 7:12 PM

megaxoplasma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

So I was giving my ants some honey and accidentally tilted test tube, which cause the honey to run and cover the brood, I only have 3 workers and the queen is kind of freaked out at the moment, pretty much nothing I can do about it. Is my colony screwed??

Let me know if you have any advice, thank you

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 12 2017 - 7:16 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Don't feed ants inside the test tube.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Pleming - Posted September 12 2017 - 7:35 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

When feeding ants in a test-tube always put the food on something like paper or foil. 

As for your ants brood, its hard to say. Depending on how much honey was spilled, the ants might clean the brood off. 

Don't worry, I had a colony lose almost all its workers when I broke the test-tube. She lost 6/9 of her workers and all her brood. I put her in a new test-tube with the remaining workers and she started laying eggs within days.

#4 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 12 2017 - 7:50 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Agreed with what everyone else said. Also, I'll add don't give honey to ants. It's too thick and ants can get stuck. Several ant keeping veterans say use 4:1 ratio sugar water on cotton ball or qtip.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#5 Offline Shaye - Posted September 12 2017 - 8:03 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
If you have very steady hands + if you believe it isn't too late, you could always attempt to pick up brood with tweezers and rinse them off in fresh water a little. I have had queens pick up brood and place it in sugar water droplets in a rush to drink it. They always reclaimed it and none ever died.

Edited by Shaye, September 13 2017 - 2:20 AM.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 12 2017 - 8:04 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Whenever it's time to feed your ants, it's also time to give them foraging space so they can collect food safely and clean up after themselves.

• Shaye likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline megaxoplasma - Posted September 12 2017 - 8:24 PM

megaxoplasma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thank You for all your responds eveyrone

I tried to move the colony but they refuse to move even in the mess test tube, so I guess I will have to wait it out before trying to move them again, cause there's honey all over since it spilled. 

I tried to move them with heat and light, the light didn't seem to bother them but heat worked in making them move like a centimeter over, but that was it.

How long does it usually take a colony to decide to move?? also I only have 3 workers, I am not sure if that's enough to move a bunch of brood.

Thank You

#8 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 12 2017 - 10:04 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

How long does it usually take a colony to decide to move?? also I only have 3 workers, I am not sure if that's enough to move a bunch of brood.

Depends on species. Connect a clean, darkened, new test tube to old one and uncover the old test tube and give the ants time to move. Could take days.

Edited by StopSpazzing, September 12 2017 - 10:04 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#9 Offline Serafine - Posted September 12 2017 - 11:24 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Just give them an outworld container, a small plastic box with some air holes is fully sufficient. You can apply a barrier (Fluon or baby powder & rubbing alcohol) or but for very small colonies that isn't even necessary as they will not wander far from their nest anyway. Place food on a small plastic piece right in front of the tube.

You can also put a fresh test tube into the outworld but it is unlikely that they will move with that few workers (but then, who knows).

Edited by Serafine, September 12 2017 - 11:25 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users