• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica queen ID request. Sep/12/2017, Richmond, BC

Best Answer Batspiderfish , September 12 2017 - 6:09 PM

Formica neorufibarbis or F. subpolita. I can't tell from the pictures; you might want to turn noise-reduction off.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LC3 - Posted September 12 2017 - 5:31 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

1. Location: West Richmond, BC.
2. Date of collection: Sept 12th, 2017
3. Habitat of collection: Suburban neighbourhood, queen was nesting in a log
4. Length: Approximately 10mm, gaster is pretty swollen.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:  

Head: head is completely dull black/dark grey with brown mandibles, head width slightly larger then mesosoma. Antennae are also dull black

Mesosoma: has darkish orangish-red classic X pattern over black. Legs same colour as gaster (orange) and don't fade to any other colour 

Gaster: Shiny and black, first plate slightly more dull

6. Distinguishing characteristics: Kind of small for a Formica sp. Looks like Camponotus nearcticus.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Not so great at climbing smooth surfaces, nested in wood, 
8. Nest description: Founding chamber was in wood (dry rotten treated log), unlikely it burrowed into the wood from the bark.

Chamber was a long gallow, just enough for her to squeeze through. Basically only a few mm in width but at least 3 times her length. Exits were plugged with sawdust.

Queen, Profile view

Side view

My attempts at trying to get a shot of its facial features

• T.C. likes this

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 12 2017 - 6:09 PM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Formica neorufibarbis or F. subpolita. I can't tell from the pictures; you might want to turn noise-reduction off.

• James C. Trager likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted September 12 2017 - 8:46 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I'm not sure if I can turn noise reduction off on an iphone, i'll try to get a better camera or something that can act as a macro lens. Are there any morphological features that distinguish F. neorufibarbis and F. subpolita? I'm leaning towards F. neorufibarbis.

I caught two queens around 2 years ago in the interior, at Okanagan lake, they were IDed as F. neorufibarbis but they don't resemble this queen. I'm pretty skeptical about the ID given to the two queens.

image for reference.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 13 2017 - 8:12 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

This post makes me question my F. pallidefulva ID. The queen's workers are about 3-4 millimeters in length and much darker than what I know F. pallidefulva to typically be.

ZkgWflg.jpg

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 13 2017 - 8:46 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I suspect a lot of the hairier "Formica neorufibarbis" are likely F. pacifica and F. moki (along the pacific coast).

Void: if the head is rounder than other Formica (especially on the workers) then she is likely from the pallidefulva group.

• LC3 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 13 2017 - 2:57 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I suspect a lot of the hairier "Formica neorufibarbis" are likely F. pacifica and F. moki (along the pacific coast).

Void: if the head is rounder than other Formica (especially on the workers) then she is likely from the pallidefulva group.

So I checked on my colony today; the ants' heads are noticeably rounder. What are the other possibilities?

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 13 2017 - 3:28 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

So I checked on my colony today; the ants' heads are noticeably rounder. What are the other possibilities?

Your Formica queen is probably just the darker F. pallidefulva or F. incerta. They all look that way where I live.

----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users