• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrex

seeds?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline invicta - Posted August 12 2017 - 5:40 PM

invicta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

What type of seeds would you usually feed a young harvester ant colony?

#2 Offline Shaye - Posted August 12 2017 - 10:20 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
I have never kept a single Pogonomyrmex queen or colony that did not immediately accept raw sunflower seeds. You can buy a bag at your local sprouts.

Edited by Shaye, August 12 2017 - 10:21 PM.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 13 2017 - 8:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Almost any small seeds used for human consumption except sesame seeds. I've never heard anyone say their harvester ants liked sesame seeds.

#4 Offline MrWeather - Posted August 13 2017 - 11:01 AM

MrWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

will 4 years old sunflower seeds do? I still have a pouch of sunflower seeds kept in a dry place for 4 years.

#5 Offline Scrixx - Posted August 13 2017 - 11:17 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Almost any small seeds used for human consumption except sesame seeds. I've never heard anyone say their harvester ants liked sesame seeds.

I've noticed that too. I've given four different Pogonomyrmex subnitidus which have workers sesame seeds and they've ignored them even though there's nothing else to eat in their outworld. 

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#6 Offline Shaye - Posted August 13 2017 - 12:33 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

will 4 years old sunflower seeds do? I still have a pouch of sunflower seeds kept in a dry place for 4 years.

Were they cooked or seasoned? Most are.. The bag I get is without shells, and clearly labeled 'Raw'.

I've noticed that too. I've given four different Pogonomyrmex subnitidus which have workers sesame seeds and they've ignored them even though there's nothing else to eat in their outworld.

Same for me.

#7 Offline MrWeather - Posted August 13 2017 - 6:23 PM

MrWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Were they cooked or seasoned? Most are.. The bag I get is without shells, and clearly labeled 'Raw'.

Same for me.

the sunflower seeds are for planting not for consumption yet.

#8 Offline Shaye - Posted August 13 2017 - 6:30 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Should be perfect then! Sunflower seeds aren't the only seeds that they will accept, but I think they accept them more readily than others.

#9 Offline MrWeather - Posted August 13 2017 - 6:48 PM

MrWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Should be perfect then! Sunflower seeds aren't the only seeds that they will accept, but I think they accept them more readily than others.

well I gave it both sunflower seeds and grass seeds but it chose to keep pulling on the cotton....

#10 Offline Shaye - Posted August 13 2017 - 7:02 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Lmao, sometimes they are stubborn. I would suggest putting her away for a day or two (in a dark area) and seeing if she has settled by then.

#11 Offline MrWeather - Posted August 13 2017 - 8:27 PM

MrWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Lmao, sometimes they are stubborn. I would suggest putting her away for a day or two (in a dark area) and seeing if she has settled by then.

she's semi claustral tho...

#12 Offline Shaye - Posted August 13 2017 - 8:53 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

she's semi claustral tho...
I didn't mean to imply that you should leave her there, but if she is not settling then you should likely give her a day or two to get used to her new home. Semi-claustral does not mean that she needs access to an outworld immediately. It just means that she will readily accept food before getting her first workers.

Edited by Shaye, August 13 2017 - 8:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users