• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ready for early hibernation?

camponotus modoc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline miked - Posted August 11 2017 - 12:23 PM

miked

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi everyone – Hoping to ask for some advice.  I have a colony of Camponotus modoc (very similar to C. pennsylvanicus).  In short, I am trying to understand if they are showing signs that they are ready for hibernation, even though it is only early August.

I bought them last fall as a founding colony, and did fridge hibernation from ~Dec 1 to April 1, i.e. 4 months total.  Since then, they have been quite active, and quickly grew from 5 workers to ~35, with even a couple of what appear to be majors (nice surprise).

However, in late July, they became noticeably less active.  They mainly sit still, in a close group.  Their gasters are quite full (see the photo), but show little interest in eating/drinking more.  There are many small eggs and 2 larvae, but they are growing far slower (if at all) than before.

These all seem like signs they are ready to hibernate.  I have no problem doing so, but:  Is it unusual for this to happen after only 4 months?
This seems shorter than what I have read about either C. modoc or C. pennsylvanicus.  But maybe this is completely normal - appreciate any thoughts or experience!

One note - I bought them from a GAN farmer who collected them at a higher elevation than I live.  That area likely has somewhat shorter summers than mine (but likely still longer than 4 months).

Many thanks!

Camponotus modoc 2017-08-10

Edited by miked, August 11 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 11 2017 - 2:42 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

In that case, I believe that is 100% normal. If they are acting like they are ready to hibernate, by ALL means let them. Put them in an airconditioned room. Let them be. Maybe check on them to make sure they are hibernating the first couple weeks. Thank RELAX! Wohoo, vacation :D just kidding. But yeah let them hiibernate. I think that is normal. Good Luck. Best Regards!

-AntsMaryland

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline miked - Posted August 13 2017 - 10:17 PM

miked

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks very much, I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot.  Appreciate the advice!

I know a few folks here have noted that having at least some colonies on a different hibernation schedule has some great benefits too.  These guys will probably be coming out of hibernation ~mid-winter, which would be a nice way to add some interest during the "normal" hibernation period.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus modoc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users