• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to post photos properly

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 4 2014 - 7:07 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

This would be a useful topic. I have some photos I could post, but could use some specific instruction on how to paste into a comment or topic.
Thanks.

Edited by dspdrew, November 4 2014 - 7:53 AM.
Changed the title of the topic to better suit the resulting content.

• Mettcollsuss and ant like this

#2 Offline DesertAntz - Posted November 4 2014 - 7:32 AM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

I believe the easiest way is to upload your pictures to an image hosting site. Photobucket works best, in my opinion. Once your pictures are uploading to the site of your choice there should be an option to copy it's direct link. You can then click on the "image" icon right above the comment section, here on the forum, which will then give you a space to paste your image's URL there. Your images should show up nice and big. 

I don't know how to condense a lot of pictures into a single file though, so maybe someone else can help you in that area if you need. 

• Joehostile85 likes this

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 4 2014 - 7:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Posting images here is mostly the same as other forum software. Here, there are two main methods. I'll list them in the order that I would recommend them be used.

First method

1. Find an image host (eg: Imgur, Flickr, Photobucket), and upload your pictures. You can even use the Formiculture.com gallery to host your pictures if you want (more about that later).

2. Find the direct URL to the image file, which usually ends with an image file extension (eg: .jpg, .png, .gif). Some sites will specifically give you this URL, others you may have to obtain it yourself by pulling up the image in your browser and then copying the address.

3. Once you have the URL copied to your clipboard, while typing your post, you can either click the image icon near the center of the bottom toolbar of the graphical editor, and then paste that URL into the dialog box, or you can actually past it into an image tag like this:

[img=URL]

Second method

1. Upload your image to the Formiculture.com gallery.

2. While typing your post, click the "My Media" button near the center of the top toolbar of the graphical editor, then find and select your image.

Edited by dspdrew, June 18 2019 - 12:43 AM.
Removed third method, since it was supposed to be a last resort, but instead was being used as a first choice.

• Heidispice and ant like this

#4 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 4 2014 - 1:39 PM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Thanks, I'll try at least one of those, soon. 

#5 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 1 2017 - 12:33 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

I would like to calmly say....... :mad2: photobucket!!!, so now I have to use a different image host because of money, well time to re upload almost six thousand photos  :mad: again.

I'm only on 400+ uploads  :suicide:

Edited by lucas3431, August 1 2017 - 12:35 PM.

• Spamdy likes this

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 5 2017 - 10:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
That's why I don't use public web services.
  • lucas3431 likes this

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted August 5 2017 - 1:51 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

if you have office 365 you have 1 TB onedrive space (and if you don't you still have some GB I think). You can embed images stored there too.

Edited by Barristan, August 5 2017 - 1:51 PM.

• lucas3431 likes this

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 5 2017 - 2:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Drew has made it so that images stored on Google Drive seamlessly display on the Forum, simply by posting the URL of the publicly shared file.

Example:

Actual URL:

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

Note: Unlike the example URL, the last part of the URL must be "view?usp=sharing" for the forum to auto display the image.  If you're extracting the link from the desktop app or online, then it usually defaults to "sharing;" however, if you're using the Android app, it may appear as "drivesdk," in which case the "drivesdk" must be changed to "sharing" to work with the forum.  Files must be shared publicly to display on the forum.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 6 2017 - 4:38 PM.

• lucas3431 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#9 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:17 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Test picture

Yaaay after 10 or so tries I finally got it.

Thanks drtmiller, Barristan and Drew.

Edited by lucas3431, August 6 2017 - 3:18 PM.

#10 Offline Gabraime - Posted August 6 2017 - 2:32 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
IMG_9305_zpsibdk5oqg.jpg

Edited by Gabraime, August 6 2017 - 8:39 PM.

#11 Offline Gabraime - Posted August 6 2017 - 2:34 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
http://s1250.photobu...5oqg_1.jpg.html

Edited by Gabraime, August 6 2017 - 8:59 PM.

#12 Offline Gabraime - Posted August 6 2017 - 2:37 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
11aig3l.jpg test puctures sorry

Edited by Gabraime, August 6 2017 - 2:42 PM.

• lucas3431 likes this

#13 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 6 2017 - 3:21 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

It takes a few times to get it. Nice dog.

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 6 2017 - 6:19 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's really not a good idea to just post the URL. Using the image button is the best way to do it.

#15 Offline Gabraime - Posted August 6 2017 - 7:41 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

It takes a few times to get it. Nice dog.
lol thx

http://s1250.photobu...5oqg_1.jpg.html

Edited by Gabraime, August 6 2017 - 8:54 PM.

#16 Offline Gabraime - Posted August 6 2017 - 7:57 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Its really hard to post photos in a forum lol

Edited by Gabraime, August 6 2017 - 9:29 PM.

#17 Offline Gabraime - Posted August 6 2017 - 8:40 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
I tried a lot of times but nothing

Edited by Gabraime, August 6 2017 - 9:30 PM.

#18 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 7 2017 - 12:59 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Drew has made it so that images stored on Google Drive seamlessly display on the Forum, simply by posting the URL of the publicly shared file.

Example:

Actual URL:

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

Note: Unlike the example URL, the last part of the URL must be "view?usp=sharing" for the forum to auto display the image.  If you're extracting the link from the desktop app or online, then it usually defaults to "sharing;" however, if you're using the Android app, it may appear as "drivesdk," in which case the "drivesdk" must be changed to "sharing" to work with the forum.  Files must be shared publicly to display on the forum.

I have noticed that I can't disable the download option tab that is added to the sharing photo. I'm having a sync issue at the moment so I've reinstalled Google Drive so now I have double folders haha. When is has finished syncing I'll sort out the mess. It is still very useful.

#19 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 21 2017 - 8:20 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Hello,

Here is a photo guide with a video demonstrating the process of embedding images from imgur to Formiculture. Please note, this doesn't work with Photobucket anymore so imgur is probably the way to go.

STEP ONE: Figure out where you want to post the photo.

You don't necessarily have to edit a previous thread to post a photo, I just had a picture I forgot to publish with my addition to the Photography Thread. It works the same way with brand-new threads, too. 

28JJOrp.png

STEP TWO: Click 'edit' to add photos to an existing post.

Like I said, you can skip this step if you're publishing a new thread.

2mwl6s2.png

STEP THREE: Decide where you want the photo to go.

Self-explanatory, I don't expect most of you to get stuck on this part.

FN5sz0c.png

STEP FOUR: Upload the photo to imgur.

There are a few ways to do this. You can pick the photo right out from your drive using the 'browse' function, or simply drag & drop it, which is what I usually do. 

mgG6hWh.png

XFl78WF.png

ag4yNNl.png

STEP FIVE: Copy the photo.

Once the photo as shown up in your feed, you can select it.

jVRWTwk.png

Once selected, six different links will be available for you to choose in order to share it. In this case, we want to choose the link titled 'Direct Link'

7JEqMRy.png

There are several ways to copy a photo; you can click the 'copy' button beside the link (which doesn't usually work for me), you can right click the selected link and choose 'copy' from the dropdown menu, or you can press command+C (shortest and easiest in my opinion).

7XQikzQ.png

ntRCaFp.png

STEP SIX: Embed the photo into your post.

To embed the image, you need to click the little square button in-between the break hyperlink and arrow buttons. It looks like a little picture; it's hard to miss.

GiGpi4C.png

Once you've clicked the square button, paste your link into the pop-up window. Once again, there are several ways to paste text; I'd recommend right-clicking the photo and using the dropdown menu, or using command+V.

tQhaK7R.png

Once you've pasted it, you can click 'OK' and the photo should pop up right where you wanted it.

cvIrT13.png

Remember to save your changes if you're editing a post (click 'publish' if you're making a new one):

5Zz82fS.png

I do hope this helps eliminate confusion regarding posting embedded photos on this forum.

VIDEO: How to embed photos on Formiculture.com:

Edited by VoidElecent, August 21 2017 - 11:22 AM.

• Nathant2131, Spamdy, lucas3431 and 1 other like this

#20 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 7 2017 - 2:49 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Hello,

Here is a photo guide with a video demonstrating the process of embedding images from imgur to Formiculture. Please note, this doesn't work with Photobucket anymore so imgur is probably the way to go.

STEP ONE: Figure out where you want to post the photo.

You don't necessarily have to edit a previous thread to post a photo, I just had a picture I forgot to publish with my addition to the Photography Thread. It works the same way with brand-new threads, too. 

28JJOrp.png

STEP TWO: Click 'edit' to add photos to an existing post.

Like I said, you can skip this step if you're publishing a new thread.

2mwl6s2.png

STEP THREE: Decide where you want the photo to go.

Self-explanatory, I don't expect most of you to get stuck on this part.

FN5sz0c.png

STEP FOUR: Upload the photo to imgur.

There are a few ways to do this. You can pick the photo right out from your drive using the 'browse' function, or simply drag & drop it, which is what I usually do. 

mgG6hWh.png

XFl78WF.png

ag4yNNl.png

STEP FIVE: Copy the photo.

Once the photo as shown up in your feed, you can select it.

jVRWTwk.png

Once selected, six different links will be available for you to choose in order to share it. In this case, we want to choose the link titled 'Direct Link'

7JEqMRy.png

There are several ways to copy a photo; you can click the 'copy' button beside the link (which doesn't usually work for me), you can right click the selected link and choose 'copy' from the dropdown menu, or you can press command+C (shortest and easiest in my opinion).

7XQikzQ.png

ntRCaFp.png

STEP SIX: Embed the photo into your post.

To embed the image, you need to click the little square button in-between the break hyperlink and arrow buttons. It looks like a little picture; it's hard to miss.

GiGpi4C.png

Once you've clicked the square button, paste your link into the pop-up window. Once again, there are several ways to paste text; I'd recommend right-clicking the photo and using the dropdown menu, or using command+V.

tQhaK7R.png

Once you've pasted it, you can click 'OK' and the photo should pop up right where you wanted it.

cvIrT13.png

Remember to save your changes if you're editing a post (click 'publish' if you're making a new one):

5Zz82fS.png

I do hope this helps eliminate confusion regarding posting embedded photos on this forum.

VIDEO: How to embed photos on Formiculture.com:

TL;DR  :lol:

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users