• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why did the community move away from plaster formicariums?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline soulsynapse - Posted August 2 2017 - 6:42 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Did they not work well? What's the history there?

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted August 2 2017 - 7:05 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Some people still use them.... but they do mold easily, some species can chew through it, and isn't all that great looking in my opinion.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline soulsynapse - Posted August 2 2017 - 7:14 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

thanks for the answer :)

14,000 messages a day

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 3 2017 - 1:14 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

POPULAR

The wide accessibility of plaster and stone materials, in combination with the degree of skilled required to build a functional formicarium in general, has likely led many inept users to share their poor experiences and misinformed observations.  As a result, users continue to perpetuate many misconceptions about these materials:

Contrary to popular opinion, the plaster material itself cannot mold, as it is a completely inorganic, mineral compound consisting mostly of hydrated calcium sulphate.  Mold feeds and grows exclusively on organic material brought into the environment or otherwise produced by the ants (such as faeces, uneaten insects, plant matter, etc.), which is true regardless of whether the growth medium is a plaster formicarium or a plastic ziploc bag.  A material that absorbs water, such as ytong, plasters and stones, grout, unglazed ceramics, or kiln-fired clay will have a slightly higher propensity to aid the growth of mold because these porous materials wick and hold moisture, which is also necessary for the mold to grow.

It is important to differentiate between plasters and stones.  Plaster of paris cures to a soft, carvable state, becoming even softer when damp, making it only suitable for non-destructive species like Lasius.  In contrast, gypsum stones and cements, which include trade name materials like "hydrostone," "labstone," and "hydrocal" are like plaster, but cure to a much harder state.  Labstone is used by most myrmecology labs because of its ability to readily absorb and slowly release moisture, simulating a subterranean environment, but without soil, in addition to its toughness.

Plasters and stones can be used by amateurs and advanced craftsmen to produce an infinite range of finished products. Here is one creation, in particular, that I really like:

Edited by drtrmiller, August 3 2017 - 1:16 AM.

• Reacker, dermy, BugFinder and 7 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Ameise - Posted August 3 2017 - 2:14 AM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Regarding Labstone, are you referring to this?:

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:18 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'm not too knowledgeable on the different grades or types, and I'm also not sure what that listing means by "base stone."

I recommend the white variation manufactured by The Plaster Guys.
  • noebl1 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline BMM - Posted August 3 2017 - 9:47 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I think the increasing availability of acrylic and 3D printed nests is playing a role.

#8 Offline soulsynapse - Posted August 3 2017 - 1:55 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

The wide accessibility of plaster and stone materials, in combination with the degree of skilled required to build a functional formicarium in general, has likely led many inept users to share their poor experiences and misinformed observations.  As a result, users continue to perpetuate many misconceptions about these materials:

Contrary to popular opinion, the plaster material itself cannot mold, as it is a completely inorganic, mineral compound consisting mostly of hydrated calcium sulphate.  Mold feeds and grows exclusively on organic material brought into the environment or otherwise produced by the ants (such as faeces, uneaten insects, plant matter, etc.), which is true regardless of whether the growth medium is a plaster formicarium or a plastic ziploc bag.  A material that absorbs water, such as ytong, plasters and stones, grout, unglazed ceramics, or kiln-fired clay will have a slightly higher propensity to aid the growth of mold because these porous materials wick and hold moisture, which is also necessary for the mold to grow.

It is important to differentiate between plasters and stones.  Plaster of paris cures to a soft, carvable state, becoming even softer when damp, making it only suitable for non-destructive species like Lasius.  In contrast, gypsum stones and cements, which include trade name materials like "hydrostone," "labstone," and "hydrocal" are like plaster, but cure to a much harder state.  Labstone is used by most myrmecology labs because of its ability to readily absorb and slowly release moisture, simulating a subterranean environment, but without soil, in addition to its toughness.

Plasters and stones can be used by amateurs and advanced craftsmen to produce an infinite range of finished products. Here is one creation, in particular, that I really like:

Fantastic response, thank you!

I was asking because I found this youtube video a couple days ago actually, it seems the colony is doing well

14,000 messages a day

#9 Offline Ameise - Posted August 3 2017 - 6:04 PM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I'm not too knowledgeable on the different grades or types, and I'm also not sure what that listing means by "base stone."

Can it be colored (I usually prefer dull brown or grey)?

According to a site that covers 'dental gypsum types':

ISO 6873 Dental Gypsum Specification:

Type
Setting Expansion
Compressive Strength
1 / I0 - 0.15%580 - 1,160 psi
2 / II0 - 0.30%1,300 psi (minimum)
3 / III0 - 0.20%2,900 psi (minimum)
4 / IV0 - 0.15%5,100 psi (minimum)
5 / V0.16 - 0.30%5,100 psi (minimum)

Types I and II are plasters, and for general application. Type III is 'model stone' or 'specialty stone', and is used for opposing models and bases (thus 'base stone'). Type IV is 'die stone', and is strong with a low expansion. Type V is high expansion 'die stone'.

It appears to be a typing system meant for dentists/orthodontists.

Plasterguys appear to sell Lab Plaster, Lab Stone, Orthodontic Plaster, Type IV plaster, AlumOxide, Dental Pumice, Snap-Stone, and Flow Stone. I did shoot them an e-mail asking them for specifics about the Lab Stone, however I then saw on their main page that it is listed as:

Lab Stone: Type 3 plaster...

So, Plaster Guys 'Lab Stone' is Type III Dental Plaster, so it should be the same as what is on Amazon.

IepUaoa.gif

• drtrmiller, Spamdy and matt. like this

#10 Offline TKD102 - Posted August 12 2017 - 6:39 PM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Can it be colored (I usually prefer dull brown or grey)?

According to a site that covers 'dental gypsum types':

ISO 6873 Dental Gypsum Specification:

Type
Setting Expansion
Compressive Strength
1 / I0 - 0.15%580 - 1,160 psi
2 / II0 - 0.30%1,300 psi (minimum)
3 / III0 - 0.20%2,900 psi (minimum)
4 / IV0 - 0.15%5,100 psi (minimum)
5 / V0.16 - 0.30%5,100 psi (minimum)

Types I and II are plasters, and for general application. Type III is 'model stone' or 'specialty stone', and is used for opposing models and bases (thus 'base stone'). Type IV is 'die stone', and is strong with a low expansion. Type V is high expansion 'die stone'.

It appears to be a typing system meant for dentists/orthodontists.

Plasterguys appear to sell Lab Plaster, Lab Stone, Orthodontic Plaster, Type IV plaster, AlumOxide, Dental Pumice, Snap-Stone, and Flow Stone. I did shoot them an e-mail asking them for specifics about the Lab Stone, however I then saw on their main page that it is listed as:

Lab Stone: Type 3 plaster...

So, Plaster Guys 'Lab Stone' is Type III Dental Plaster, so it should be the same as what is on Amazon.

IepUaoa.gif

I guess the only question now is, is it mold resistant?

Edited by TKD102, August 12 2017 - 6:39 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#11 Offline Ameise - Posted August 13 2017 - 3:37 PM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
I'm not sure how to answer that. As he said, plaster is mold resistant as nothing in it is food for mold. It's porous and absorbs things, which likely contributes. I'm not aware of any surface, even glass, that is mold-proof. If it's porous, mold is more likely, but if it's not porous, it isn't water permeable.

#12 Offline TKD102 - Posted July 17 2018 - 3:23 AM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

I'm not sure how to answer that. As he said, plaster is mold resistant as nothing in it is food for mold. It's porous and absorbs things, which likely contributes. I'm not aware of any surface, even glass, that is mold-proof. If it's porous, mold is more likely, but if it's not porous, it isn't water permeable.

Thanks for that, and I know this is kind of late but, would lab stone be able to stand up to ant species that are good are chewing through other types of plaster? It's compressive strength seems to be better, but I don't know about the material holding together when ants are chewing on it.

(I bought a bag of lab stone and I'm going to experiment with a design for a formicarium using it)

Edited by TKD102, July 17 2018 - 3:24 AM.

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#13 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted July 17 2018 - 7:56 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Good information! Thanks @drtrmiller. I guess need to update the wiki: https://www.antkeepi...lding_Materials

Makes sense though in what you said.

BTW this is from 

Posted August 13 2017 - 4:37 PM

Edited by StopSpazzing, July 17 2018 - 7:57 AM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#14 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 17 2018 - 8:51 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Thanks for that, and I know this is kind of late but, would lab stone be able to stand up to ant species that are good are chewing through other types of plaster? It's compressive strength seems to be better, but I don't know about the material holding together when ants are chewing on it.

(I bought a bag of lab stone and I'm going to experiment with a design for a formicarium using it)

Please let us know what you find!

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users