• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nova Scotia Canada

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Canadant - Posted July 17 2017 - 5:21 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Hello, I'm new to this hobby but love it. I've raised frog eggs to adults, lots of types of guppies and shrimp and now ants! It's hard to find people like me out there. When I show people my ants (or fish or frogs in the past) they'ii take a quick look and say 'cool' or 'neat' or 'nice', then they'll quickly turn away as if it doesn't interest them at all. Stuff like this fascinates me. Like, I mean, blows my mind. I could ask a million questions, interact and watch all day. My brain is like a sponge when it come to learning about nature. I just hold information.

If I only had google when I was a young boy (I'm 41 now married with a daughter with another on the way).... There is just so much info out there by others willing to share. I look forward to this hobby and hopefully can gain enough knowledge and experience of my own to help and assist others.

I'm currently between careers and back to school for two years. I'm working at Walmart to keep the funds coming in during my family's transition. I just returned to Nova Scotia, Canada from living abroad the last eleven years of my life. I'm enjoying the cool summer ^^

I'm still relatively new, but I'm all in on this hobby. 

Currently, I have:

3 camponotus noveboracensis queens each with a substantial brood. Caught in early/mid June. They should have nanatics any day now. 

1 Camponotus pennsylvanicus caught the other day. She's very big but was injured when I found her. Part of her gastor was torn. It looked as if one of her 'segments' on her gastor was slightly 'unrolled'. She has sine settled in very nicely and has laid several eggs. perhaps she would not have made it in the wild.

1 Lasius Niger. This one I'm not 100% on. It might be formica. I will need some members here to assist in Identification. I caught her July 14th on the side of the road in the grass of a sidewalk. She seemed very uncomfortable and is 'antsy' (pun intended) when i view her. She will run around the test tube. However, she laid 4 eggs overnight, so hopefully she is settling in nicely. This group will go in my omni-nest from Ants Canada.

1 Omni nest from ants Canada. I'm keen on making my own formicaria though. 

I look forward to participating in this forum.

Sincerely,

Canadant

"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#2 Offline notmyidea - Posted July 17 2017 - 11:56 PM

notmyidea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Welcome! I'm on the other side of the country in Victoria, BC. Good luck on with your colonies!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users