• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fruit Flies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 12 2017 - 7:38 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

A couple questions about fruit flies.

1. Would you recommend D. Melanogaster, or D. Hydei?

2. How do I kill them before I feed a colony? Freezer?

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted July 12 2017 - 7:43 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

1) Whatever is at your local pet store.

2) Your fingers.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Yuki - Posted July 13 2017 - 4:24 AM

Yuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

There's plenty of information on the difference between melanogaster and hydei, but iirc melanogaster is smaller but breeds faster, while hydei is slightly larger but breeds more slowly.

I recommend freezing the extras so they don't soil the colony medium.

#4 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 13 2017 - 8:00 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I would freeze them. Get yourself a 32 or 64oz deli cup and lid. Pour the flies you want to feed to your ants into the new cup, and freeze them. If you use your fingers, you'll end up pushing out extra protein the ants could eat.

Also, i have always used D.hydei. I've never been able to purchase D.melanogaster locally.

#5 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 13 2017 - 9:27 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

I've used just the flightless fruit flies from petsmart. I've created my own culture for them in some pint size mason jars they breed pretty quickly so I'm not in any need to buy more. I've given the fruit flies to some of my species live which would be my larger species, for my smaller species such as tetramorium and solenopsis molesta i freeze them first and let them thaw for a couple minutes before dumping them into the outworlds

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 13 2017 - 10:58 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
These two exact questions were asked recently on the forum. Doesn't hurt to do a quick search on the forum.

http://www.formicult...ter-or-d-hydei/

Edited by Nathant2131, July 13 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#7 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 13 2017 - 11:24 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

These two exact questions were asked recently on the forum. Doesn't hurt to do a quick search on the forum.

There's a MUCH better alternative to just telling someone to do a quick search and not giving an answer.

#8 Offline Ameise - Posted July 14 2017 - 7:34 AM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Yeah, don't say "search for it". That and some related answers bug me on a lot of forums - I end up in threads often because I searched for the topic on Google, and then see a post saying 'search for it' or 'rtfm' or similar, and the forum itself is broken or those old threads were deleted. You aren't just helping the person asking - you're helping anyone in the future who has a similar/the same question.

Also, note that a lot of ants reject/dislike frozen foods (even if thawed)... though I have been unable so far to find a good way to 'live-kill' things like mealworms - even CO2 suffocation for hours didn't work - they writhed violently, stopped moving altogether... but once the CO2 dissipated after 6 hours (I turned the valve off) they slowly came back. Might try heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users